Rental arbitrage (Airbnb)

2 Replies

To all of you investors out there who do rental arbitrage with Airbnb, how successful have you been thus far? Also, what were the pitfalls and challenges that you faced along your journey? I’m planning on becoming a host for 1 Airbnb listing as a side income, but before I proceed, I just want to get the full picture of what I’m getting into so I can better prepare myself. All I hear on YouTube is the glamor side of the business, but I’d love to know what it’s actually like from the prospective of the average investor. 

Side note- If any of you happen to live in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area and could elaborate on what the market is like for this business model, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Is the search function broken? So many questions about arbitrage. Yes it can work. Yes the risks are very high. Yes you can lose everything you invest in it. Especially in major metropolitan areas. You can get yourself stuck in a lease when the city council changes the rules or eliminates short term rentals entirely.

Do a search. There are plenty of threads about arbitrage.

As you can probably tell, I am not a fan.

Is the search function broken? So many questions about arbitrage. Yes it can work. Yes the risks are very high. Yes you can lose everything you invest in it. Especially in major metropolitan areas. You can get yourself stuck in a lease when the city council changes the rules or eliminates short term rentals entirely.

Do a search. There are plenty of threads about arbitrage.

As you can probably tell, I am not a fan either.  Just like the above guy ^^^.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor