Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Doyle
Votes |
Market Saturation in Smokies?

Matthew Doyle
Posted Mar 10 2020, 08:43

So I already own a STR in a colorado ski town that does fantastic..I would buy another if I could but I want to take advantage of the 10% second home loan for my next property.

The smokies are a popular spot for this investment strategy but something I can't seem to wrap my head around is the market saturation of these cabins in the Gatlinburg area. Does anyone else see this as an issue? There seems to be 1000s of rentals of the same unit type...and they just keep building more. That compounded by the fact that there is no limitation on supply, the land seems infinite to develop.

I'm not in this for quick liquidity reasons, but do people have concerns about even selling in 10 years from now - the supply just seems to be over the top. Also how does one even enter this market as a new rental, the competition seems stiff. Are people still entering this market now (past 6 months) and having success with it? 

Furthermore, are there other areas in the smokies (NC for example) that are worth considering that see similar success as gatlinburg and co?

Thanks for the advice!

Loading replies...