Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
I'm curious, any AirBNB host ever have extenuating circumstances on the local level before? If so, how did AirBNB handle cancellations then?
For example: hurricanes, flooding, forest fires, blizzards, earthquakes, etc.
Although coronavirus is a unique circumstance, this isn't the first time AirBNB has dealt with massive cancellations due to extenuating circumstances. In those instances, did they dismiss cancellation policies or keep them intact and let the hosts determine the policy?
I'm curious, any AirBNB host ever have extenuating circumstances on the local level before? If so, how did AirBNB handle cancellations then?
For example: hurricanes, flooding, forest fires, blizzards, earthquakes, etc.
Although coronavirus is a unique circumstance, this isn't the first time AirBNB has dealt with massive cancellations due to extenuating circumstances. In those instances, did they dismiss cancellation policies or keep them intact and let the hosts determine the policy?
Yes I have been through many hurricane evacuations over the years with properties on the Outer Banks of NC but we have loss of income insurance when mandatory evacuations are ordered. It’s my understanding that insurance companies are saying they will not cover this.
I'm curious, any AirBNB host ever have extenuating circumstances on the local level before? If so, how did AirBNB handle cancellations then?
For example: hurricanes, flooding, forest fires, blizzards, earthquakes, etc.
Although coronavirus is a unique circumstance, this isn't the first time AirBNB has dealt with massive cancellations due to extenuating circumstances. In those instances, did they dismiss cancellation policies or keep them intact and let the hosts determine the policy?
Yes I have been through many hurricane evacuations over the years with properties on the Outer Banks of NC but we have loss of income insurance when mandatory evacuations are ordered. It’s my understanding that insurance companies are saying they will not cover this.
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
There are oh-about-a-million circumstances that could be deemed “extenuating”. The fact that Airbnb is the sole and exclusive arbiter of such is now being exposed. VRBO has acted reprehensibly through this, but they’ve stopped short of confiscating and refunding payments.
This space needs some new players. Perhaps this crisis will spawn some.
Yes I have been through many hurricane evacuations over the years with properties on the Outer Banks of NC but we have loss of income insurance when mandatory evacuations are ordered. It’s my understanding that insurance companies are saying they will not cover this.
Greg, how did AirBNB handle those hurricane evacuations? Did they maintain cancellation policies or offer full refunds?
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
6y
Long ago we had 2 STRs that were hit twice each by hurricanes (Gulf Shores, Alabama) that were not rented through Airbnb or VRBO (private PM). I do not consider it the same because we were cancelling on the guest (probably the guest also would have cancelled). Guest really could not complain because the units were not in an occupiable condition. In addition, I doubt they would wanted to stay in a location that had just been heavily impacted by a hurricane. Of course, refunds were provided but the insurance covered our lost rents. So everyone, except the insurance company, was taken care of rent wise.
If the insurance is not covering for the loss rent in this case (which I also believe to be the case), either the guest or host is going to be loosing out. I suspect if you are using Airbnb or VRBO, that it is likely to be the host that will lose out. We still have 2 STR units (not the same two that were hit by hurricanes) that are not using Airbnb or VRBO and I do not know how our PM is handling the situation but I suspect they are going to take care of the hosts at least as well as Airbnb or VRBO, possibly better.
Yes I have been through many hurricane evacuations over the years with properties on the Outer Banks of NC but we have loss of income insurance when mandatory evacuations are ordered. It’s my understanding that insurance companies are saying they will not cover this.
Greg, how did AirBNB handle those hurricane evacuations? Did they maintain cancellation policies or offer full refunds?
Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
6y
Any area that is impacted by a Hurricane Warning is going to get full refunds/no penalties. We've dealt with these in the past but it only lasts a few days, nothing like CV19.