What To Do when your Airbnb guest asks for Early Check-In

What To Do when your Airbnb guest asks for Early Check-In

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes


First and foremost my system is based on "Give them an inch they will take you 10 miles" which I find to be true in this business. There are many different ways to run your Airbnb. Here is how I, (Superhost with 2000 glowing 5 star reviwes), run mine! 

This is my "Early Check-In Late Check-Out" System.

Rule 1. 

My listing mentions NO Early Check-In No Late/Check Out so I am off the hook even before they book. If it's mentioned in the listing and they don't read it.... you're still at risk of a bad review so you must beat them over the head with your systems. 

Rule 2. 

The following is included in my "Confirmed Booking" message which is sent AUTOMATICALLY by my PMS (property management software) (YourPorter) to anyone that has a PAID booking.

"CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT TIMES
Check-in is at 4pm and check-out is at 11am. While we try to go above and beyond to accommodate our guests, we cannot offer early check-ins or late departures. This is to allow our cleaning crew ample time to make sure your home is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before and after your stay."

This eliminates nearly all of the early/late requests. 

BUT you still get the folks that don't read anything. Which leads me to....

Rule 3. 

Here's a real-life example. I have currently a high maintenance question asker about to check in for a week for the in-high-demand July 4th weekend. This is a large party that has paid a lot of money to stay in a large home on the beach. But the thing is... If they were to cancel, I could have this rebooked within 3 minutes for MORE money than they have paid.***

I re-sent the same message from above, so she now has this a second time, and she said "That's unfortunate for us" clearly displaying her dissatisfaction in our policy. 

So my message in this particular situation is.... 

"Hello! We are happy to offer you a one-time courtesy full refund but you will need to take advantage of this by today at Noon (insert time zone). Otherwise, the cancelation policy will be in effect. Thank you and travel safe!"

Works every time.  

Of course, this is to be used sparingly. I wouldn't necessarily use it on a Tuesday in February. 

I'd love to hear how you handle this with the never-ending stream of multiple personalities that are entering your property and your!

***If I could get more money... why did I book them? Well, it's not always wise to wait until the last second to book in-demand holidays. It's worth a few dollars less to book it in advance. I find the sweet spot is 4-5 weeks prior. 

"If it's repeatable, you can build a system around it and anyone can facilitate this system" - Ray Dalio 

The goal is of course to take yourself out of the business and let the business run itself. My assistant is taught all systems and handles the messages for me. 

To summarize.... If it happens more than TWO times -build a system around it so it never happens again! 

7Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 237 votes
6y

We typically are more flexible on early check-in than late check-out. We will try to accommodate people who want to check-in early if it means we don't need to do any extra work. Typically we can offer up to 30-60 mins early. Our check-out is less flexible because our cleaning crew needs to come in within a half-hr after the checkout time and clean the rental. Whatever you decide I would implement it and uphold it 100%, so there are no exceptions to your policy. It is just a lot easier to do it that way.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    To determine your Check-In Check-Out times... I highly recommend the ENEMY METHOD

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Nice post! We would only allow early check-in if there's no additional effort on our part. If the unit is already cleaned and ready to go, why not? If it's going to involve any effort or inconvenience on our part, it ain't happening.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I just have a check in day, there is no specific time.  But they usually drive all day to get here and arrive in the evening.  Their checkout day is just that, it's any time during the day.  They usually check out when they get off work in the late afternoon.  

    But my tenants are probably much different than the ones staying in an Airbnb or VRBO type of place.  They also stay much longer than vacationing people.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 181 posts · 115 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl

    Thanks for the post. We may incorporate a few of your processes. Currently we rarely allow a change in checkin our checkout times, and never during peak season. I’ve also charged for it when we don’t have a conflict with an arriving or departing guest. It’s a fee for having to reschedule the cleaning team. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    We don't have a problem allowing early check-in/late check-out if it works.  We don't get a lot of late check out requests.  I bet we have only had a handful in the past two years.  Early check-in requests are a little more common.  It seems like a few  people ask this question well in advance of their trip and some ask the day they are arriving.  In either case the standard answer is we will accommodate if it works with our cleaners schedule and we won't know for sure until that day.  Sometimes we can plan something with our cleaner ahead of time but we won't guarantee it.

    When our cleaner let's us know everything is ready, we frequently notify guests the cabin is ready for check-in and they can check-in whenever they please - whether or not they have asked for early check in.

    To me it's that one more thing we can do to let the guest have an awesome experience at my cabins.

  • Paul CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 156 votes
    6y

    Always the student here @Luke Carl...I will be using for future reference especially once we get #2 going and all that follow. Currently we do the same thing as @Nathan Gesner If the cabin has been cleaned and is setting empty and ready to go, we'll go as early as a 1pm check-in. I won't rush our cleaners to accommodate an early check-in though.  I think I've only had the question asked 2 or 3 times, so hasn't been a real issue for us.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    I should mention that I occasionally bend the rules and allow someone to check in early. My problem is scale. I've got 28 properties and 4 housekeepers. I don't want to spend time on such a small task. If the guest asks me two hours before check-in if they can check in early... there's a pretty good chance I'll say yes. I just can't promise anything in advance -it's too much to coordinate. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Sometimes I have a group of 4-8 people arriving over the course of 2-3 days.  I charge people a weeks rent if they move in on day 1.  If they arrive on day 2, I charge 6 days, day 3 5 days.  When day 8 comes, everyone pays for a week.  

    The problem is that the people that arrive on day 1 will take all the good T's and A's from every bedroom and put them in their own room.  So I solved the problem by filling every wall of every bedroom with good T's and A's.

  • Property Manager · Pigeon Forge · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 208 votes
    6y

    I'll just add one tip to your initial post...

    "We typically can't allow early check ins just due to giving our cleaners proper time to get the cabin ready.  But I'll let you know the moment it's ready for check in.  If you happen to hit town early, I suggest you do XX YY ZZ."

    I give my cleaners access to my messaging system and as soon as the cabin is ready they send a templated message to the guest letting them know how 'awesome' the cleaners were and their cabin is ready.  Of course I'm CCd on the message so I know what's going on as well.

    I feel you for the high maintenance guest, though.  You know already how the review is probably going to look.  :/

  • Robert CarterPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    These are definitely good practices if you already have quite a few str properties or are scaling. I’ve notice sometimes that checkout time is more the issue. When guests are still in the house after the checkout time, what are people doing to combat it? Are you calling, texting, emailing them or are you automatically charging them a fee?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    @Robert Carter My policy states on my AirBnb listing is that anyone who has not pre-arranged a late checkout and is still in the property after checkout time agrees to pay the greater of either 1 extra night or $150.

  • Property Manager · Pigeon Forge · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 208 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Carter:

    These are definitely good practices if you already have quite a few str properties or are scaling. I’ve notice sometimes that checkout time is more the issue. When guests are still in the house after the checkout time, what are people doing to combat it? Are you calling, texting, emailing them or are you automatically charging them a fee?

    I tell people 10AM checkout but the standard in my area is 11AM.  This allows me to "give in" an hour with no consequence.  I'll generally check with my cleaners to see if they can juggle their schedules and allow an even later checkout and 90% of the time they can accommodate it.   I don't mind asking if they request it but never do it proactively. 

    I always proactively let them know if they can check in early, either due to cleaners being done sooner or the place already being empty from the last stay.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I dont have many requests for this. I try to accommodate when possible.

    I have have the house already cleaned prior to day of check in I generally offer an early checking even if not asked for. 

    I notice even when I say tbey can  checkin at noon, often many people still don't check in early.

    Well over half of our renters drive 3 plus hours to get to our location.

  • Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
    6y

    If it’s possible I respond saying,

    Hi, I am able to accommodate (early check in / late check out). There’s normally a $100 fee but I’d be happy to waive it for a nice 5 star review. :)

    This drives my reviews up because people who typically won’t leave reviews do, and if anything bad happens during their stay it offsets it.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Like some others, I allow early check in or late check out if that is possible. If we don't have back to backs and the place is ready to go, I think it is worth it.

    Now I see where @Luke Carl needs to be steadfast in the policy with that many rentals. We only have one so it is easy to manage.

  • Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 237 votes
    6y

    We typically are more flexible on early check-in than late check-out. We will try to accommodate people who want to check-in early if it means we don't need to do any extra work. Typically we can offer up to 30-60 mins early. Our check-out is less flexible because our cleaning crew needs to come in within a half-hr after the checkout time and clean the rental. Whatever you decide I would implement it and uphold it 100%, so there are no exceptions to your policy. It is just a lot easier to do it that way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    Yes, I do the same with putting it in my listing and in the booking confirmation email. If they ask again for an early check in I let them know it’s really busy and cleaning for The Rona doesn’t allow me to commit to it. But if I know it’s clean I’ll message them around 3pm and let them know they can go. Only been asked twice for late check out though.

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    This request just happened. The guest booked a 2-night stay, which I rarely enable but we had a 3 night gap between bookings, and booked it during the week (monday and tuesday nights), which is the lower priced nights, and acted all entitled that they wanted to get more than a whole beach day so they requested an early check-in AND late checkout. I told them no since the current guest checks out the same day they arrive and that a new guest checks in the day after they leave. I could've given them a late checkout but the whole entitlement attitude turned me off. 

    Normally I accommodate these requests but make it clear that it's a give on my end so hopefully they remember when leaving a review. I don't explicitly state a quid pro quo as this is not allowed. 

  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    6y

    Make it clear that check-in and check-out times are what they are. 

    You have the discretion to change your mind as you feel. Just because someone else is a hard-***, does not mean you have to. 

    My last Air-B&B was great. Laid back guy that lived next door.  He actually told me that I could come earlier if I desired. His rules posted said different,  but he just needed  call when I was a half hour away.

    This is just one reason he got great ratings from us.

    It all depends on how you feel if the question comes up. Its not like you are out anything. If you have a service operating the business, this may not work so well.


    I am a real person. I have the ability to change what I want. When and if I choose.

    You may be the same!

  • Rental Property Investor · Papillion, NE · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl This is strictly an owner preference. You have to keep in mind that you are being reviewed as well. We usually look and see if there are guests leaving the same day. If so certainly you're justified in your check in time. If not you might look at allowing earlier checkin if they request it, especially if your cleaning crew cleans the day your departing guests leave. During the off season when we do not have guests back to back if someone requests early checkin we allow 2-3 hours early and let them know we're making an exception to help out. This almost always results in a great review. Certainly it would be great if everyone would just want to arrive at checkin time however there are times where being flexible might be warranted.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.