Long Term Stays in my STR

10 Replies

Happy Monday, I have a booking inquiry for 44 days, they are snowbirds they have been verified on VRBO since 2015 and they have 2 Five star reviews as guest. Is hosting long term stays over 28 days a bad deal regardless if I have many snowbirds in my market?

Money is money.  I've had people stay 4-12 months before.  But they are staying for a job, not a vacation.

All of my 2021 Airbnb summer bookings are for over 30 nights. Airbnb indicated in the spring that many urban visitors were looking for longer rental periods so I offered a discount on monthly bookings. I don't think longer rental periods are a bad deal. They can be much easier and lucrative.

I don't bother drawing up a lease for bookings via VRBO or Airbnb. I don't think a short term lease offers protections that are any stronger than the VRBO / Airbnb platform agreements. 

During the academic term, I rent to visiting scholars by the semester and I don't use Airbnb or VRBO. I do draw up a short term lease for all of those extended stay rentals.

So I had a lease agreement drawn up for any stays over 30 days. Depending on the state in which you live, stays over 30 days count as a long term tenant and they are covered by those laws.

The biggest issue I see is with the COVID rent moratoriums. In WA state, they are really difficult to get out of. People are out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most of those are LTR's but I know of 2 STR owners that got stuck with tenants not paying up after a 30+ day stay.

Our vacation rental is in Idaho which is a landlord friendly state and I still had one drawn up.
My 2 cents.

I live in a tenant friendlier state (as a former tenant, myself, I don't know of a tenant friendly state - just friendlier) and I still stand by my statement that a short term lease does not provide me with any more protection than the agreements on Airbnb and VRBO. Then again, many of my guests / tenants are international visitors so I'm not sure any of our agreements are worth much...

BTW, even though I had a tenant from h* who made me understand exactly how much power she had over my own home, I've come to realize that having an attitude that my tenants are my customers and, therefore, "they are always right" has saved me from more headaches than any landlord friendly laws could have ever saved me from. I am always professional. I never negotiate. I always respond promptly to any and all complaints. It works. 

Today: (1) I would have never rented to the tenant from h* because I would recognize a problem tenant at the outset. (2) When I have a high maintenance tenant, I aim to please them. The reviews from satisfied high maintenance tenants are worth all the headaches!

@Lorraine Patterson

I think you should consider 2 things.

1. Risk. After 30 days your guests will have tenant rights and if they refuse to leave you will have to evict them like you would long term tenant. Lease or no lease won’t change it. VRBO won’t help you with eviction. And eviction currently in NYC is harder than usual. You could consider independently screening them, like you would Long term tenant. Is there a circumstance that makes you confident that they will leave in 44 days?

2. Why would you consider it? Are you having slow season? If you will still be mostly booked during those 44 days with short stays, then what’s your motivation to take on extra risk.

Hope this helps. Its not a legal advise, I am not a lawyer.

@Lorraine Patterson this is a very interesting thank you for asking this question. I am new to the Airbnb world and trying to learn if anyone has any suggestions please message me. Thank you

Would it help if they split the reservation? For example for 24 days and a new reservation for the remaining 20 days?

@Lorraine Patterson the benefit that immediately comes to mind is a huge savings on cleaning services that I otherwise would have been paying had I had the usual 8-10 turn overs per month. Others have made very viable points though.