Votes
Mike M.
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
Lake Norman NIMBY mafia style intimidation

Mike M.
  • Northern Virginia
Posted Jul 23 2021, 19:07

Looking to get some insight from others that may have STR properties in the Lake Norman area. I'm seeing that there is a strong resistance in certain neighborhoods (maybe rightfully so if there have been poorly overseen party houses in the neighborhood). I just bought a place and so far I've met two neighbors and gotten an earful from both that they are fighting STR in the area. The conversation goes quickly from "Hey, welcome to the neighborhood" to "we don't want you here." I had a contractor at the house who heard some of the conversation with a neighbor and said I need to be careful as the resistance won't only be verbal or a cold shoulder, but other forms of intimidation are common in the area - harassments, stones through car windows, etc. - things that this contractor had experienced himself.

I don't want to be a pariah in the neighborhood. I want a retirement home that I can use STR to help afford for the next 10-15 years. I wonder if the resident's experiences have just tarnished their attitudes irrecoverably and I'll end up being miserable and constantly stressed.

Loading replies...