Anyone use Evolve management?

13 Replies

Hey guys,

About to get our 1st STR listed, and we are 4 hrs away. I am wondering if anyone uses Evolve management, and would love your thoughts. I wondering if it's worth the 10% to save me the hassle of managing myself. Considering I'll be a ways away with a learning curve if we do it ourselves.

Thanks!!

I am under contract for my first STR in Placitas, NM, about 5 hours from where I live in the Texas panhandle. I too considered Evolve, but I think I would rather have a cohost in the local area. I have stayed in a VRBO in Denver managed by Evolve. As a guest, they were a monolithic corporate wall. All payment in advance, no cancellation or reschedule without losing the entire amount. I did not like them. The unit was okay, but the owner actually interacted with us more than Evolve did. For my unit, I think we will try to co-host with a local in the area and coordinate cleaning, handyman, etc.

Originally posted by @Randy Dubiskas :

I am under contract for my first STR in Placitas, NM, about 5 hours from where I live in the Texas panhandle. I too considered Evolve, but I think I would rather have a cohost in the local area. I have stayed in a VRBO in Denver managed by Evolve. As a guest, they were a monolithic corporate wall. All payment in advance, no cancellation or reschedule without losing the entire amount. I did not like them. The unit was okay, but the owner actually interacted with us more than Evolve did. For my unit, I think we will try to co-host with a local in the area and coordinate cleaning, handyman, etc.

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering what the value add really is. If I could truly pay 10% and not have to worry about anything that might be great, but it seems like there's still a lot of communication and maintenance issues you'll have to deal with anyway.

For reasons mentioned above.  I called them myself to see what they offer, and it's literally just that - they basically are a psuedo direct booking company.  They list, book, collect the cash and pay the homeowner minus their booking fees.  Pretty much all the on-the-ground management still has to be done by owner.  Airbnb does the same thing, with a much greater reach for 3%.  They will say that they advertise in many places that AirBnB doesn't, which may be true, but for paying that much more, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Originally posted by @Hal Wilkerson :

For reasons mentioned above.  I called them myself to see what they offer, and it's literally just that - they basically are a psuedo direct booking company.  They list, book, collect the cash and pay the homeowner minus their booking fees.  Pretty much all the on-the-ground management still has to be done by owner.  Airbnb does the same thing, with a much greater reach for 3%.  They will say that they advertise in many places that AirBnB doesn't, which may be true, but for paying that much more, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

That was kind of the vibe I was getting from my research. Thanks for your help!

depending on which region you are looking at - stay absolutely away :) , I and quite others I know learnt the hard way.. they are absolutely a waste of money.. although I would say that there are some in AZ who seem to be liking them.. by and far they have terrible ratings & its a complete waste of 10% imo... if you cant really self manage.. get a good local cleaner( pay them well ! ) and a decent handyman..

They had my lakefront priced super low at one point ( mid 200s ADR attracting worst guests ) and next month at 1200 - 1700$ ( attracting no guests ) .. inspite of repeated messages they just gave some crappy reason and refused to lower rates.. I started owner blocking & self manage my own listing .. way way much better ..

I currently use Evolve for two properties. I initially started with them because my day job constantly has me traveling with little time to manage anything.

They are super convenient as they hire professional photographers and build all your listing profiles (Airbnb/ VRBO, etc). Also their smart pricing has done really well for me. I only get contacted if there is a major issue with a guest stay.

That being said, I will be moving away from them once the rentals slow down this winter. While convenient, 10% is far too much for the services they provide. You are paying 10% (Evolve) + 3% (Airbnb) + Guest contact (if not yourself) + cleaning crew + handymen services. That 10% is based on the gross booking price and adds up to quite a lot. With a little research and initial time to set everything up, you can do the same thing for much cheaper.

Good luck!

@Angeline Rebottaro

I considered Evolve but decided against it for the reasons you said. When I spoke with them the message I received was that the would coordinate the reservation and provide customer service but I would still have to turnover the units, call maintenance professionals, and arrange cleaning. Not worth having Evolve involved.

@Angeline Rebottaro if you end up going the self-manage route, here are some tools/resources that you'll need:

• Local cleaning crew and handyman (search BP, Angi/Homeadvisor, and Google for references)
  • YourPorter or a similar PM platform to manage your listing on Airbnb & VRBO (no need if you're just going with Airbnb)
  • Beyond Pricing or Wheelhouse for pricing (you're leaving money on the table trying to do this on your own)

Good luck and DM me if you have any questions!

@Angeline Rebottaro

Like others have said, what you get for that 10% is pretty bare bones. Depending on your location, you can get full service, but that costs more and likely costs what you can get a more localized company to do for you with a more hands-on approach. 

Just in general, the STR management operations are tough. They range from the small-time hustler to the medium-sized local company with tens or may 100 properties to the Wal-Mart of Airbnb management. Our clients in Denver and Colorado Springs have worked with all three sizes. I like the smaller or medium-sized. I think Airbnbs are such a particular operation and need attention. That is counter to scaling that an STR management business needs to do to survive. That's not helpful to making a decision; just an observation.

I wish you luck!