Bought Land in 29 Palms!

8 Replies

Myself and a few family members bought 2.75 acres (10 individual residential lots) in 29 Palms, CA. It is at the end of an already developed street and the back side of Joshua Tree National Park is essentially the end of the block.

What ideas could you share for the highest and best land use for this opportunity that we have? 

We have been informed that the military base there is expected to grow in the next 2 to 3 years.

Looking forward to your insight!

Hi Jacqueline good to meet you! I live in that area and have met a few investors in the Joshua Tree/Twentynine Palms area. The base is great for multi-family homes and there is the Airbnb aspect being so close to the park, but read up on the local laws if you’re interested in that because in 29 Palms is stricter than Joshua Tree or Yucca Valley. Developmental wise multi-families are your best bet if building is the direction to want to go. I’ve seen some people try selling Some single family homes, but the developer made the lots too small and those homes sat in the market FOREVER because the area it was in had homes with larger lots. Another idea is hydroponic farming, I know this is a real estate investing forum but look up on setting up a hydroponic farm it can be very lucrative and may be cheaper to set up versus building. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply Krystle! We have thought about Airbnb and thankfully the lots are large enough to accommodate a SFH and are proportionate to the other lots on the street.

I will certainly look into hydroponic farming. However the land is zoned residential, so I'm not sure if it would be allowed.

We are also looking into mobile homes and letting someone just rent the lot. Are mobile homes big out there?

Jacqueline:

Congrats on your investment

a podcast I listen to recently discussed had the 29 palms mayor discuss the upcoming investments to the downtown area — called the z107.7 up close show Gary daigneaux 

Also about 6 months ago I had a pretty good conversation about the 29 palms area with Vinson Johnson (a realtor in the area) who really gave me a good understanding of the rental market and how the military base affects (No connection to him but he would definitely have some insights and possibly some. Connections for you) 

@Jacqueline Carrington that's good that it will be proportional to the other lots around it. Are the homes around your lot tract homes or are they custom? I've asked someone that same question about having a hydroponic farm on residential versus commercial and what I've heard is to talk to the city and ask, there are so many types of zoning you might just have to use a zoning variance. I wouldn't recommend a mobile home park in Twentynine Palms because 1) You wouldn't get military living in a mobile home park in Twentynine Palms 2) At this price point you would get a lot of drug users. Meth is pretty widespread in this city and unfortunately mobile home parks are concentrated with this because at the price point they can afford. Yucca Valley has a nice mobile home park but it's also next to a golf course. 

Originally posted by @David Jarvi :

Jacqueline:

Congrats on your investment

a podcast I listen to recently discussed had the 29 palms mayor discuss the upcoming investments to the downtown area — called the z107.7 up close show Gary daigneaux 

Also about 6 months ago I had a pretty good conversation about the 29 palms area with Vinson Johnson (a realtor in the area) who really gave me a good understanding of the rental market and how the military base affects (No connection to him but he would definitely have some insights and possibly some. Connections for you) 

David, thank you so much for sharing! I reached out to Vinson, but unfortunately, no reply. Do you invest in that area? Would love to discuss what you learned.

not in 29 palms—just renting 3/2’s in yucca valley.  However I’m not opposed to 29.  I’m seeing 3/2 rent there for 1000-1400 month. 

The city looks a little sketchy driving through. But there are some great people from all over the country that move there for the military base.  

Realtors have told me that it’s not a place to get rich quick. But more of a long term proposition—and basically upgrading your rentals to be bombproof. (Tile baseboards instead of wood-for example). Turnover can be annoying there - so you have to build vacancy into your p&l projections 

Any recommendations for local developers? My team sees potential in developing 29 lot by lot.

Hi Jacqueline

My name is Steve Enochs. I own Western Home Builders Inc. located in 29 Palms. I am the builder of Desert Knoll by Luckie Park. I manage 180 properties in 29 Palms. I am currently building homes one at a time for a person who bought 34 individual lots. I also personally invest in 29 Palms. Let's talk about your project.

Steve

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.