Barstow California purchase

7 Replies

anybody have an idea how the housing potential is in barstow california. i want to buy a property to rent out there, but not sure how easy is to get tenants or how much rents go for, and at what price a good property will go for. any info appreciated

Very small and mostly lower-than-average income population = lower rents and longer vacancies.  I made this mistake myself buying a 5 unit property in a very small rural town in CA (not Barstow but similar).  I would not recommend it.

It is way out of the way and most people only live there because they have to for work, it doesn't have the same growth benefits that the rest of California does but all the laws and taxes.

I was just passing through Barstow and had lunch there Sunday. It appeared medium-low income and there was Zero new construction as far as I could tell. 

We were on our way back from Arizona & very hungry. 

Originally posted by @Autumn Gernhardt :

I was just passing through Barstow and had lunch there Sunday. It appeared medium-low income and there was Zero new construction as far as I could tell. 

We were on our way back from Arizona & very hungry. 

Thanks you. I should probly resesrch more

Agreeded with all. Very slow to little growth and is really affected in a recession. I have seen investors be successful only when they very little leverage not much in repairs for subjects. Section 8 rents is what they relied on.