User Stats

Votes
Jared Schwartz
Votes |
Inglewood vs Hawthorne

Jared Schwartz
Posted Jun 3 2019, 17:02

Hey All,

I am looking to from West Hollywood area to south LA and am curious to everyone's thoughts on the added value or difference in moving into one area or the other.

One place i am looking at is in Wiseburn School district but i am personally single with no children at this moment. I plan on having one, but i am making this purchase with the mindset that it will likely be a 10 year home as opposed to longer. My goal would be to keep it as a rental property after i move out as opposed to selling, so the upside would likely come from rental prices and not added resale value but who can predict.

That house is 725k for 3br 2 ba w/a studio style ADU in place of a garage. It is livable currently but ultimately needs some work longer term.

There is also a home closer to the abandoned mall and hawthorne airport which will have good access to that downtown area if/when it finally updated. It is a 3br 2.5ba also with an apartment style ADU in ADDITION to the garage. This house is notably nicer in terms of the upgrades and care put into but is certainly not a fully new remodel. This one is also around 725k

And lastly there is a home in the North Inglewood/View Park area. It is smaller and more expensive. 750k for just 3br 2ba no ADU. But very nicely and recently done and no notable upgrades needed any time soon

So I know it is all subjective but what additional value would you generally apply to a better school district if comparing apples to apples? 

And for those who know the area is there any reason to strongly prefer one neighborhood over the other outside of personal preference?

I work in Beverly Hills but the additional commute to be further south is not an issue for me. It is about 15 more mins (4miles) andI have already accepted that i will have traffic going to work and home. I have lived in LA a long time and understand what i am getting into. 

So obviously Hawthorne has more access to South Bay and is a bit closer to the beach, while N. Inglewood offers better access to LA Proper.

But would love any additional insight anyone may have!

FYI - the plan would be to move in at least one renter regardless to supplement my monthly payment.  If anyone has a sense of what the difference you can get between these 2 neighborhoods i would be interested in that information as well.

Thanks everyone!

Loading replies...