Los Angeles ADU (Create new address)

9 Replies

I purchased a home in Lawndale, California 90260, a couple months back. It already has a fully permitted ADU attached to the back of the house. It does not have a separate meter for gas, electricity, or water. I inherited the tenant living in the ADU and part their rent included all of the utilities plus Internet because the ADU does not have its own address and the cable company does not recognize the main house and ADU as a separate address. The questions that I have are:

Has anyone found a way to get the cable company to recognize 2 addresses so I can have the tenant's pay their own bills?

Has anyone used any utility splitting meters/devices to help split the utilities?

Has anyone gone through the process (in Lawndale) to give their ADU their own address?

@Irving Franco

You can have the tenant pay you for half the bill this also helps since it's a write off. Sub metering it will cost way more for the savings you will receive. Strange that they didn't create a separate meter for the permitted ADU.

@Charles Cooper . Thanks for the reply.  

I should have mentioned the ADU was built back in 1997 so my assumptions are they didn't require the separate meters. I have all the permits from the city so I know it was done correctly. I should have also mentioned the main house is 4 bed 2 bath, vs the ADU is 2 bed 1 bath. I'm getting ready to rent out the bigger unit as well, but I am trying to figure out the best way to prepare the lease so I do not have to pay for any of the utilities and have the renters pay for them directly.

Since it was built in 1997, the laws were different then, otherwise, your newly built ADU would come with a new address. I suggest going to building and safety with your permits from 1997 and ask about the steps needed to get a separate address for it.

Originally posted by @Charles Cooper :

@Irving Franco

You can have the tenant pay you for half the bill this also helps since it's a write off. Sub metering it will cost way more for the savings you will receive. Strange that they didn't create a separate meter for the permitted ADU.

Why would you want to pay the cable bill twice?   Just split the bill in half.   The one down side is you will remain the point of contact.   This is on the rare case when something goes wrong with the cable.  On the positive it means you will be aware when work is done.  

In Most places in Ca you are able to split utility cost equitably.    charge each unit half the cost and both units would be getting a deal.  

Good luck

@Irving Franco let me preface by saying I don't work with SFRs, but I do oversee the utility billing for 88 multi-family props in CA including LA County. 

The mulit-family regs for RUBs are:

Water & Sewer are fine. 

Gas is a no (unless it is solely used for a water heater or boiler system). 

Electricity is a no (unless LADWP is the electric provider)

Flat fees to cover water & sewer are a hard no. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can help with. 

Originally posted by @Chris Roberts :

@Irving Franco let me preface by saying I don't work with SFRs, but I do oversee the utility billing for 88 multi-family props in CA including LA County. 

The mulit-family regs for RUBs are:

Water & Sewer are fine. 

Gas is a no (unless it is solely used for a water heater or boiler system). 

Electricity is a no (unless LADWP is the electric provider)

Flat fees to cover water & sewer are a hard no. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can help with. 

Can you provide a reference for

• Gas is a no (unless it is solely used for a water heater or boiler system).
  • Electricity is a no (unless LADWP is the electric provider)

it is my understanding Ca allows virtually any equitable split as long as LL is not collecting more than the cost of the utilities (excluding small administration charge).

thanks