User Stats

Votes
David Lyons
Votes |
Solar + New roof in House Hack

David Lyons
Posted Aug 1 2021, 15:41

Hi all,

My wife and I are buying a duplex in San Diego and house hacking. The place needs a new roof and electrical upgrades, and we're thinking of bundling that all into a solar upgrade at the same time. This will be a house hack where we rent out the other unit, but then eventually will move on and rent out both units.

So, I have a few questions for the expert investors and landlords out there:

1. Since we need to replace the roof anyways, we're thinking of doing solar shingles instead of doing the roof and putting panels on top. Does anyone have experience doing solar shingles when replacing the roof? Does it make financial sense over a traditional roof + panels? Any special considerations with the solar shingles?
  2. We will have the solar tied into the panel for our unit. However, when we move out, I want to make sure the financial payback is still valuable. What do you think the best way to get pay back on the solar investment is when renting out that unit? Increase rent and advertise the solar as a benefit to reduce tenant's expenses? Or say utilities are included, with a monthly cap (say $50 or less) above which the tenant would pay the difference? Any other creative ideas?

We are passionate about getting solar, but also want it to be a good financial choice. I figure we're not the only ones who have thought of doing this, so any wisdom from you all is greatly appreciated!

- Dave

Loading replies...