New Investor Getting Started in Baltimore, MD

14 Replies

Hi everyone!

I'm Qua, a new soon to be investor in Baltimore, MD. I currently have an investment property in Las Vegas and am looking forward to expanding my rental portfolio to the East Coast, where I was born and raised.

I've been a lurker in the BiggerPockets forums for a while and want to finally jump in and interact with the community. I am amazed at how supportive the BP community is, and I'm excited to interact with experience and newbie investors who are sharing their experiences, making moves and getting deals closed!

Look forward to connecting with some of you in the near future

Welcome Qua! I am a new investor in Maryland as well, just closed on a property in Prince George’s county (bowie), and looking at Baltimore for my next purchase. Glad you’re here! 

If you are investing in the city and in areas other than A or B areas Just make sure and do your research on the ground well before buying.. It took my about a year of driving through neighborhoods and streets at different times of the day and night in baltimore city to find areas that were not war zones.   Certain streets are okay and then 1 street over it's a drug zone..  Also make sure and see areas in the spring/summer as opposed to the winter..  The drug street selling trade is much more visible in the spring and summer then in the winter months. 

Welcome to the Baltimore REI community! As Ray mentioned, just be sure to know your area and your ARV. Values can vary greatly within the same neighborhood so be sure you're comparing apples-to-apples when looking at comps.

Thanks for that advice @Ray Slack ! I’ve been doing my best to get familiar with the neighborhoods via Google maps and Zillow until I am able to travel there and drive the blocks. I’ve quickly realized how tricky it is to figure out which areas to focus on and which aren’t worth the time and money. Flying in town is my top priority, once Covid restrictions ease up.

Thanks @Joe Norman! I get this warning from almost every Baltimore investor that I speak with! My goal is to block off at least an hour a day just to analyze deals in the area. I am trying to get familiar with what's out there and learn what to look out for quickly since this is a hot market for investors. 

I've been trying to connect with wholesalers in the area to find an off market deal that can get my BRRRR ball rollin'! I realize that finding the right location is key in this process.

Welcome to Baltimore!!!
There are ton of investors here from Baltimore, ask questions, get involved, most of us are very helpful.

Good Luck!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you