Hello from NJ - New to Real Estate Investing

Hello from NJ - New to Real Estate Investing

Plainfield, NJ · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone! My name is Shad and I am very excited to be joining this site. I’ve joined a while ago and have browsed for a while, reading articles and the free beginners guide offered here. I now finally decided to introduce myself to the BP family.

Currently I am looking into buying and holding opportunities near Rutgers U. in New Brunswick as well as shorts sells and pre-forecloses (Anywhere in NJ/NY area). I am new to real estate investing and I am looking forward to learning form you all as well as share any knowledge that I may come across during my search and growth. Thank you for taking the time out to read this and I look forward to your responses.

0Reply
16 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    hi and welcome to BP! You should find a very helpful and informed crowd here.

    Ibrahim

  • Plainfield, NJ · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thank you, Ibrahim. Looking forward to learning from everyone here.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cranford, NJ · Member since 2011 · 149 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    @Sadrack B. Welcome to Bigger Pockets Shad! This is a great place to connect and learn. Be sure to check out the Analyze menu above if you haven't already - excellent tools there such as

    Best of luck!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Sadrack B. Thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    You may also enjoy this post, about multifamily properties: How to Buy a Small MultiFamily Property: A Step by Step Case Study

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Plainfield" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • House Flipper · East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 205 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP. You have joined a good group with plenty of resources in NJ to call upon. The NJ members have get togethers you should utilize the key word function and exchange ideas. Again welcome aboard.

  • Plainfield, NJ · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thank you David, Brnadon and John! I appreciate the warm welcoem and I am looking forwrad to learn from you all. And please have patiance with me if i ask too many questions (especially any that has already been answered). I am new to Real Estate Investing and do understand it is a long term plan, not a 'get rich quick" scheme.

    I know of someone who is selling a town home that already has a tenant in it in Northern New Jersey (Union, NJ). He said that the value of the property went down and that if it was to be sold at today's value, the income from the tenat would cover all expenses and produce a postive cash flow of approximately $200 per month. I am looking to get all of the numbers from him, do my own due diligence and use some of the tools on this website to evaluate the deal. In the mean time, can you guys give me some pointers?

  • Developer · Manhattan, NY · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    @Sadrack B. Welcome Shad, Its always good to see people that are willing to invest in the tri state area. You said you are looking in the NY area as well? Have you ever considered Queens? I wish you the best of luck, If your ever in NYC and want to meet up and talk about REI let me know!

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Sadrack B. . There's plenty of opportunity in NJ to find some great cash flow producing property. You'll always have a supply of possible renters around the Rutgers campus however unless you have experience in working with students perhaps this is not the best way to start off because they can present more challenges than a normal tenancy. Perhaps start off with a duplex and live in one side. Its the best way to start in my opinion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.