Neophyte from Amarillo, Texas

12 Replies

Hello,

My name is Omar Naguib and I'm very new to real estate. I'm 18 years old and am taking a year off between high school and college to study real estate on my own. When I go to college during the fall of 2014, I hope to either major or minor in real estate. My goal is to make real estate my career by 25. Everyone wants financial freedom and I'm lucky to have found the route I wish to take towards financial freedom. I'm also attending real estate seminars, reading real estate books, and taking a real estate course, but I know the real lessons are in deals, and I'm eager to learn as soon as possible. I'm excited to learn with you and I hope biggerpockets.com allows me to further my financial education!

Thanks,

Omar Naguib

@Joseph Murders - Thank you for the welcome! I think I'd be into flipping, but I'm not sure yet. Honestly, the real estate books that I've read gave me the runaround, instead of concentrated on the actual art of real estate investing. I'm looking for some more focused readings. If you don't mind, what other niches are there? A list would help with focusing my research.

Thanks in advance.

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

Omar hit the @button and type the letter of the person u are trying to tag and it should pull up the persons name you are looking for. There is flipping,wholesaling, buy and hold just depends on what interests you most.

Originally posted by @Joseph Murders :
@Omar Naguib - Welcome to BP and to the wonderful wide world of real estate investing. Have you given any thought as to what markets or niches you want to invest in?
If you need any help, please let me know.

@Edgar Aguillon - Thanks for the help! I just looked up a group of niches and found a nice post on this website. Now I know what type of research I'll need to do in the immediate future. I've been on here for one day, and I've already learned something! Yeah, I smell the money from Hereford every day. ;) Thank you for the welcome and I will certainly be in contact!

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Omar Naguib !

There are some really great resources for you to utilize here on BP so I hope you delve right in and find useful information!

Off the bat, I would highly recommend that you check out our Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing, it's a great place to start and is packed with helpful info!

Additionally, I noticed you mentioned that you might be interested in flipping--if that's the case, I would recommend you check out Flipping Houses: The Ultimate Step by Step Guide

Good luck to you, you're already well on your way!

@Account Closed - Thank you for the warm welcome! I've already gotten started on the Ultimate Beginner's Guide, and it's been great already. I'll definitely check out the flipping guide! Thank you so much for the help, I look forward to starting the second guide!

Welcome to the site @Omar Naguib , it seems like you're taking all the right steps in the right direction. While you have the time now, make sure to nurture your credit score as it will play a big role in many of the financing scenarios you'll be in as an investor.

@Mehran K. - Thank you for the advice. I have been watching my credit score for a while now, so it's nice to hear that it's important from an investor. Question: As an investor, do you find that you take out loans more? Or do you find more "creative" ways to finance deals?

I don't mind taking out loans with a local portfolio lender that can move quickly and has laxed guidelines. I'm starting to have people feel comfortable investing private money with me as well.

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you