New Member from Murrieta, California

7 Replies

Hello to All,

My name is Dwayne and I am a Sgt in the Marine Corps. As I make my transition out of the military, I would like to start my own investment business.The problem is I do not know where to start. I am learning something new everyday because of this website. Looking forward to interacting and learning from all of you.

Welcome! My husband is active duty navy. This is a great website to learn! The first thing you need to decide is what is your goal, buy and hold investor (rentals), flips, wholesaling, etc.

We personally are buy and hold investors. We started out by buying a personal property (foreclosure) and gutting it. Since than we buy as many properties as possible that start as personal properties than turned into investment, with pure investments making up the loan distance.

We split our VA loan, using some of it for our first personal property and the rest for our second personal property.

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Thank you Elizabeth C. I would like to get a feel for all the types to find which one I enjoy best. I have one property in SC that I rent out but that's it. I have another property here in California but I don't kno which route to take on it. Do you mind if I pick your brain about all of this?

Thank you Elizabeth C. I would like to get a feel for all the types to find which one I enjoy best. I have one property in SC that I rent out but that's it. I have another property here in California but I don't kno which route to take on it. Do you mind if I pick your brain about all of this?

Thank you Pyrrha Rivers for your support for the troops.

@Dwayne McPherson

You are welcome to pick my brain anytime! :) It really depends on your long term goals as to which route you take. We did buy and hold because that's what I enjoy. When we started, I was working full time. My goal was too make enough from our house to be able to quit and manage them while raising our children. Buy and hold worked well for us!

Welcome Dwayne. There are a lot of super helpful people and great advice on this site! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! A lot of others doing flips, wholesaling, notes, everything.. A few tips..

You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and most importantly, the BP members! Welcome to BP, and good luck on your investments!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you