Long time lurker and consumer of real estate investing podcasts, books, and other information from BiggerPockets that just closed on my first investment property - a duplex house-hack. It's all been a whirlwind of learning and doing and I'm looking forward to starting my journey with the goal of financial freedom in the next 10-15 years. Ideally way sooner. This house-hack will be a negative cash flow while I live in it, fix it up, etc. Some other "adventures" I am looking at - the existing tenant is section 8 and the current property management company likely will not continue management. So I will be learning the PM piece as I go as well.
I'm acquainted with a couple of local investors, but would love to connect with others in the area (or nationally/internationally) with similar experiences and strategies. I'm currently jumping head first into this community and would love to learn from more seasoned investors.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y
@John Davis be sure to check out all the city landlord requirements.
Michigan also has an online Landlord-Tenant Handbook that is awesome source of info.
Lastly, be sure to join the RPOA investor's group in Grand Rapids. A lot of seasoned investors there that will help you through the inevitable challenges.
Congrats on purchasing the investment property! Love the house-hack method! My biggest piece of advice is to run it like a business especially with the tenant next door. Although they are section 8 and the payment will be coming in automatically, don't fall in a trap of sob stories or nonsense with requests from the tenant. Always be empathetic, but at the end of the day its a business for you and you have to run it as such.
Congratulations on your first success story! I’ve seen several investors start out with house hacking in a similar situation. One investor I know had a Section 8 tenant initially but chose not to renew the lease in order to bring in a more qualified tenant and increase the rent.
You’re in the right place to connect with like-minded investors who have walked a similar path. I’m excited to check back in a year and see how far you’ve come. Wishing you continued success!
Thanks @Walter Bowser - I appreciate that advice and plan to incorporate it into this first opportunity and beyond.
Thanks @Meghan Carson - looking forward to continuing the journey and learning (and applying!) as much as I can from folks like yourself and others in the community.
Congrats on closing on your first investment property! House hacking a duplex, even with negative cash flow upfront, is a great way to build equity while learning hands-on. Since you’re managing a Section 8 tenant and taking over property management, focus on understanding local regulations, lease terms, and effective tenant communication. Connecting with other investors, both locally and online, will be invaluable as you scale.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y
@John Davis be sure to check out all the city landlord requirements.
Michigan also has an online Landlord-Tenant Handbook that is awesome source of info.
Lastly, be sure to join the RPOA investor's group in Grand Rapids. A lot of seasoned investors there that will help you through the inevitable challenges.
@Wale Lawal - Thank you! I'm currently delving into local regulations, the existing lease, and best modes and means of communication. I plan on becoming more active in REI groups both online and locally as well. So far everyone has been very welcoming.
@Drew Sygit - excellent advice, thank you for sharing. The RPOA Investor group is also very interesting. I will definitely be looking into that more from a local perspective.
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey John, congrats on closing your first duplex! For property management, get familiar with local laws, especially for Section 8 tenants, and use software like AppFolio, and Rentec Direct to stay organized. Make cost-effective improvements to boost property value and work towards positive cash flow over time. Connect with other investors locally or online to learn from their experiences. Once your house hack is stabilized, consider using the BRRRR strategy to grow your portfolio.
@Kerlous Tadres - thank you! I'm 4 months in and learning a ton trial by fire style and really enjoying it. I'm using TenantCloud at the moment. It's helped to stay organized but a bit of a learning curve to take full advantage of all the features. I've made a number of cosmetic improvements so far to the bathroom, landscaping, exterior paint, etc. Roof is next which was a big expense I knew I would need but not so soon. Equity. But - it's all part of the process and something I had planned for thankfully. Stabilization is what I'm aiming for and keep telling myself when something comes up. Should achieve that in another month or so. I also plan to hit an investor meetup here in the near future. A house-hack BRRRR is on the radar in the next year as I continue to learn and grow.