Wholesaling Newbie in Atlanta, GA

2 Replies

Hi BP,

I am brand new to the real estate game but I'm eager and excited to learn as much as I can.

Quick background on me: from the Atlanta area, graduated with honors from high school, worked my butt off in college, earned a 4-year degree...and am now stuck in a dead end job. I don't make enough money. There is nothing rewarding about what I do. My main problem is that I have no flexibility with my time which gives me no control over my life. I work from 8-to-5, Monday thru Friday, every week of every month...for the last 6 years. It's a never ending cycle and I'm miserable.

I'm so sick of other people (my employer) dictating my life. I can't even go out of town without permission (have to get time off approved) and I'm only allowed a handful of days off over the course of the year. I feel like a prisoner but I can't quit. I have bills and the only way to pay them is to continue to go to the place where they hold my paycheck hostage.

I want to take control of my own life and work for myself. I feel like real estate could be a great way for me to do that.

I know this isn't the easiest business to get into but everyone says if you put in the time and effort, it will pay off. I'm willing to work as hard as I have to and beyond that. I know I will go all out, especially since I'll be working for myself instead of someone else. I want to learn as much as possible about this and then get out there and try it. My dream for the future is that I'll find enough success in this that I can finally break out of prison (my 8-5 job) and do this full-time.

I'm very interested in wholesaling. I've been reading up on assigning as well as bird dogging. They say that's one of the best ways to get started if you don't have a lot of money at your disposal (which I do not). I know my first step is going to be to build a list of cash buyers and figure out what kind of properties they want. I'm going to check Craigslist, maybe post an ad or two looking for buyers. I think I need to start scoping out realtors as well.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice on getting started!

Thanks for reading my ramblings everyone! :)

@Arica D.

Welcome. Consider student housing see below. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 60 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Couple good reads

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

@Paul _Timmons Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely check out the podcasts and the ebooks. I'll check online to find REIA meetings in my area. From what I've gathered, networking is key in this business.

Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

I'm new at this, so I'm going to have to do a little research to find out what this means. :)

Thanks again!

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you