Hi, my name's Mark. I live in the Atlanta area. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months and been listening to the BP podcasts for about a year.
Without going too deep, i'm definitely interested in investing in a couple of pockets in the atlanta area. Really curious about Collier Heights and College Park.
I'll take any advice I can get as i'm interested and curious if now is an ideal time to start investing.
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
1y
Is now an ideal time to start? Couldn't be better. Inventory is spiking, buyers are on strike as sales plummet, price reductions are at 50% in some markets. So, yes, this is that "right time" that so many new investors keep waiting for. Let me add I don't know the specifics of the two markets you mentioned. Those markets may be doing their own thing.
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
1y
Is now an ideal time to start? Couldn't be better. Inventory is spiking, buyers are on strike as sales plummet, price reductions are at 50% in some markets. So, yes, this is that "right time" that so many new investors keep waiting for. Let me add I don't know the specifics of the two markets you mentioned. Those markets may be doing their own thing.
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Mark Anthony, Collier Heights and College Park are both still best classified as C/C- areas and, honestly, vary block by block. From a boots-on-the-ground standpoint, I've seen more signs of gentrification in Collier Heights than in College Park. That said, neither area has experienced the full wave yet. And more importantly, due to interest rates and a general market slowdown, both have seen a noticeable pause in revitalization efforts.
When rates were at historic lows in 2020 and 2021, flippers and investors rushed into these markets, creating a lot of hype around potential appreciation—especially given that both are located inside the perimeter. But now, as things have cooled off, investors need to be more disciplined and thorough when underwriting deals in these areas.
Keep in mind that College Park sits directly next to the airport, which comes with trade-offs. Some people love the proximity—either because they work at the airport or travel frequently. But for most buyers, the constant noise pollution is a drawback. So if you're thinking long-term, just know that your resale pool could be limited unless your future buyer fits that specific profile.
As for Collier Heights, Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway is still rough, to put it plainly. It's going to take a lot—capital investment, city collaboration, and real motivation—to truly clean up 78/278. That said, South Collier Heights, especially near I-20, seems a bit further along—"better" in the sense of being safer from what I'm seeing.
Bottom line: real estate in Atlanta is extremely localized right now. There are pockets with pent-up inventory and opportunities to be found, but you really have to understand the area and pay close attention to what's coming—whether that's new development, improved transportation, major employers moving in, etc.
Curious—what draws you to those two specific markets?
Michael, first off, thank you so much for the breakdowns and honest feedback of each neighborhood!
For College Park, there's a couple of reasons. 1, I've heard quite a few good things about the historical area of the neighborhood. 2, Being close to the airport, a couple bars and restaurants, and Marta station were another big draws. I know TP studios is probably a big draw as well, but thats more of a "in my back pocket" thing.
For Collier Heights, the main thing for me is the historical significance of the neighborhood. added bonus is that the neighborhood has a little concentration of midcentury modern and ranch homes. Basements that are the same foot print to be able to add a second dwelling for more income in the future, and being close enough to the 20 & 285 for commuting.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Mark Anthony welcome, some great insights here on those specific areas, and I wanted to give a one up for the idea that we are currently in the market that most investors claim they've been "waiting for". at least in my market things are still certainly competitive, but price reductions, seller concessions, remedies, and overal better terms are making it a pretty solid market to be buying in. I'd argue most people trying to say things are "still over priced" have not actually tried to make an offer. sure asking prices are high, but in my market its not uncommon for things to trade at 5-10% under ask right now, sometimes more depending on the situation.
Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 98 posts · 54 votes
1y
Hi Mark Anthony! Welcome to BP...yes. Collier Heights has glorious historical value and if that's where your hear lies, go for it! It's close to the Grove Park and Baker Rd rehabs and they give you good comps to use. Like everyone is saying, be careful on the buyside to make sure you get a good deal.
College Park is terrific too. You're spot on, the airport location and historic section are stellar. Can't be matched. When you say College Park, most people think outside of 285, but that sweet spot off Main Street is hot. Ever need help looking for a few good deals, DM me...happy to help!
Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
1y
@Mark Anthony College Park near Woodward Academy and nearby has some very good investment opportunities though on the high end. It cost $40,000+/- to attend that school and many buy just long enough while kids are in school. Historic part of College Park near the Main St has seen and will continue to see price appreciation though it too is a bit pricey. I would stay away from the more suburban parts of College Park except for C with good cash flow. I did well with a Collier Heights property in 2015 and it was one of my favorite rehabs. I think it got caught in the hype of the Westside Park and Microsoft buying a huge chuck of land for a new campus. After Covid they paused and the area lost momentum, but it’s still close to the Westside Beltline and would be a good buy and hold. Beware it’s a historic district so you must adhere to making no exterior changes, but I thought the additional approval went whether easy. Keep in mind, as within most of Atlanta , within an area there can be different opportunities and what some may consider C maybe your B
Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
1y
@Mark Anthony Hey, and welcome to BP! Since everyone’s already covered the charm and historical value of both areas, I’ll zoom out a bit.
If you’re doing buy/hold, turnkey... whether the RTP ratio actually makes sense right now in either of these areas is what’s important.Don't get me wrong, I’m a fan of the mid-century modern. Totally here for it...love, love, love it.
But, I just wrapped a project in Collier Heights, and I’ll be honest... it’s not a slam dunk unless you get the property at a really good basis. Prices in 30318 have fluctuated a lot since the Westside hype cooled. And even then, historic restrictions can delay rental readiness... especially if you’re hoping to improve curb appeal or modify exterior elements.
College Park? If you’re in the 30337 corridor close to Main Street, your RTP might work, but it won’t be great unless you’re adding value or leaning into a mid-term strategy. Also, airport proximity is a love-it-or-hate-it issue... and honestly, that’s not talked about enough.
At the end of the day... there are better RTP plays out there unless you’re layering in something like MTR, corporate travel, or adding real value on the rehab side.