Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 11 votes
Hey everyone!
Been meaning to post an introduction for a minute, just got sidetracked with life. A little bit about me: New investor, started a house hack with a duplex at the beginning of the year using a VA loan, looking at starting fix & rents in and around the San Antonio area with SF & small MF homes by the end of this year. Eventually I will be looking to invest in properties around the country, with a goal of investing internationally later in my journey.
Outside of real estate I'm an adventurer that enjoys traveling, the outdoors in some form or another. I'm an avid student of martial arts & train everyday. The fun activities I partake in range from reading books to skydiving to obtain my USPA cert.
Would love to start networking with all the awesome & creative like minded people within this forum. I attend networking events in & around San Antonio, so any Texas investors/realtors/contractors/lenders/etc. drop me a message and hopefully we can build a lasting business relationship that benefits the both of us. I'm all for meeting anyone outside of Texas as well, so don't be shy, say Hello sometime!
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey @Shawn Tuma! From my experience, the most important things early on are keeping your deals cash-flow positive, running the numbers on every property, and having a solid plan for value-add opportunities, think small updates that can increase rent or reduce vacancies. Build a trusted team early: a reliable contractor, a good property manager, and a lender who understands investment deals. Also, don’t underestimate tenant screening; it’ll save you headaches down the road, and network with people who can challenge and support you.
Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 57 posts · 21 votes
1y
Hey Shawn!
My first station was in San Antonio and that's where I first started my investment journey! I first house hacked with my VA home loan purchase in NE San Antonio, sold it, and bought an Airbnb near downtown there after. Would love to connect, I may have some connections that could help you out!
My first station was in San Antonio and that's where I first started my investment journey! I first house hacked with my VA home loan purchase in NE San Antonio, sold it, and bought an Airbnb near downtown there after. Would love to connect, I may have some connections that could help you out!
@Keenan Cromshaw It seems great minds think alike! I will send you a message so we can coordinate a good time to connect.
Congrats on getting started! House hacking a duplex is a solid first step and gives great hands-on experience with tenants and cash flow. Scaling into SFHs and small multifamily is a smart move, especially if you build a reliable team for acquisitions, rehabs, and property management. I invest in the Midwest and have found that pairing off-market deal sourcing with a strong contractor network really accelerates growth—something to consider as you expand nationally.
Congrats on getting started! House hacking a duplex is a solid first step and gives great hands-on experience with tenants and cash flow. Scaling into SFHs and small multifamily is a smart move, especially if you build a reliable team for acquisitions, rehabs, and property management. I invest in the Midwest and have found that pairing off-market deal sourcing with a strong contractor network really accelerates growth—something to consider as you expand nationally.
@Arman Ahmed Thank you! That first leap of faith into real estate sure is nerve racking but a blessing nonetheless. I'm going to send you a message as I have been researching investing in the Midwest since I have family scattered throughout.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Welcome! There's a lot to learn on biggerpockets. I'd scour the forums and read anything that interests you and listen to the various podcasts that they have. I'd pair that with going to local meetups so you can look to build your network!
Welcome! There's a lot to learn on biggerpockets. I'd scour the forums and read anything that interests you and listen to the various podcasts that they have. I'd pair that with going to local meetups so you can look to build your network!
@Aaron Zimmerman These are great suggestions, thank you for the insight. There's so much here on the forums, it almost seems endless.
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey @Shawn Tuma! From my experience, the most important things early on are keeping your deals cash-flow positive, running the numbers on every property, and having a solid plan for value-add opportunities, think small updates that can increase rent or reduce vacancies. Build a trusted team early: a reliable contractor, a good property manager, and a lender who understands investment deals. Also, don’t underestimate tenant screening; it’ll save you headaches down the road, and network with people who can challenge and support you.
Hey @Shawn Tuma! From my experience, the most important things early on are keeping your deals cash-flow positive, running the numbers on every property, and having a solid plan for value-add opportunities, think small updates that can increase rent or reduce vacancies. Build a trusted team early: a reliable contractor, a good property manager, and a lender who understands investment deals. Also, don’t underestimate tenant screening; it’ll save you headaches down the road, and network with people who can challenge and support you.
@Kerlous Tadres This is amazing & insightful information, thank you!
Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 11 votes
1y
Quote from @Account Closed:
Hi Shawn, sending you high fives from Dallas!!!! I was just in San Antonio a few days ago !
@Account Closed Howdy fellow Texan! Hope you got to enjoy some fabulous food while you were here. I'd love to eventually invest state wide, maybe we can work together at some point. I'll send you a message so we can connect.
Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2024 · 52 posts · 23 votes
1y
Welcome to the community, Shawn. SA is still a great place for investing especially if you're here and especially if you have VA benefits. My very first home was purchased with a VA loan and made me 6 figures upon sale. Are you panning to manage your properties yourself?