New Investor By Accident

New Investor By Accident

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 3 votes

I have owned a flooring store in DFW for the last 7 years, and I've worked with both retail customers and investors. Last year, my dad passed away in west Texas and I inherited 2 houses in the kind of shape that people would love to see driving for dollars. So over the last year I dealt with houses with roofs with gaping holes in them, mold damage, rain damage, broken sewage pipes, stolen water heaters, an ancient electrical panel that had caught on fire, my grandmother's metal shed being stolen by a hoarder tenant, my dad also being a hoarder, and even some fun squatters. Fortunately, a GC I work with helped me save the day. She introduced me to a hard money guy, helped me set up the deal and helped me by sending workers to west Texas. It was about this time that some squatters broke into one of the houses and started sleeping there. They even lit a fire in the garage, possibly for cooking or heat I'm not sure.  I hit just about every bump in the road but eventually got the houses on the market. One of them is currently sold, and the other is still on the market. The one that was sold had a guy on Facebook trying to get deposits for rent from people. Basically after the house was under contract, this guy broke in my house 5 hours away and started showing it to people to get rent deposits from them. Fortunately, my realtor caught it and we got the locks replaced. ANYWAYS! So yeah, I'm sure some of you are now wondering why I'm here after all those problems. I guess I caught the bug? Honestly, even after the repairs, and the hard money and everything I came well out ahead. At this point I guess nothing is going to surprise me moving forward even though there probably will be things.  I'm in the Fort Worth area and looking to learn a bit more at this point.

3Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 458 votes
1y

Travis, that’s one wild initiation into real estate, but it sounds like you handled it like a pro. Most people would’ve thrown in the towel, but you pushed through, learned the ropes under fire, and still came out ahead. That resilience is everything in this game. With your flooring background and a solid GC connection, you’re positioned to do serious damage in the DFW market. Glad you caught the bug, you're definitely built for this. Happy to connect!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Wow Travis, that sounds like a wild ride! Sounds like you’ve got the resilience for this game. Fort Worth has some solid opportunities, so keep at it!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 142 posts · 59 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Travis Mize:

    I have owned a flooring store in DFW for the last 7 years, and I've worked with both retail customers and investors. Last year, my dad passed away in west Texas and I inherited 2 houses in the kind of shape that people would love to see driving for dollars. So over the last year I dealt with houses with roofs with gaping holes in them, mold damage, rain damage, broken sewage pipes, stolen water heaters, an ancient electrical panel that had caught on fire, my grandmother's metal shed being stolen by a hoarder tenant, my dad also being a hoarder, and even some fun squatters. Fortunately, a GC I work with helped me save the day. She introduced me to a hard money guy, helped me set up the deal and helped me by sending workers to west Texas. It was about this time that some squatters broke into one of the houses and started sleeping there. They even lit a fire in the garage, possibly for cooking or heat I'm not sure.  I hit just about every bump in the road but eventually got the houses on the market. One of them is currently sold, and the other is still on the market. The one that was sold had a guy on Facebook trying to get deposits for rent from people. Basically after the house was under contract, this guy broke in my house 5 hours away and started showing it to people to get rent deposits from them. Fortunately, my realtor caught it and we got the locks replaced. ANYWAYS! So yeah, I'm sure some of you are now wondering why I'm here after all those problems. I guess I caught the bug? Honestly, even after the repairs, and the hard money and everything I came well out ahead. At this point I guess nothing is going to surprise me moving forward even though there probably will be things.  I'm in the Fort Worth area and looking to learn a bit more at this point.


     Wow, what a story. I'd love to know which flooring store you own. I am in the Fort Worth area. There are a lot of investment meetup groups here. Reach out and I can help point you in the right direction.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 458 votes
    1y

    Travis, that’s one wild initiation into real estate, but it sounds like you handled it like a pro. Most people would’ve thrown in the towel, but you pushed through, learned the ropes under fire, and still came out ahead. That resilience is everything in this game. With your flooring background and a solid GC connection, you’re positioned to do serious damage in the DFW market. Glad you caught the bug, you're definitely built for this. Happy to connect!

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Travis! Sounds like you’ve already been through a full real estate bootcamp by accident — that’s one way to learn fast. The fact that you came out ahead despite all that chaos says a lot. Fort Worth has a lot of opportunities for someone with your hands-on experience, especially if you start looking at fix-and-flip or rental deals strategically. Keep tracking what works and building your network — it’ll make the next deals much smoother.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio · Member since 2024 · 103 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    Hey there and welcome! And congrats on making it through all of that—it sounds like you got hit with just about every curveball possible but still came out ahead. That’s a huge win and definitely shows you’ve got the resilience for this business. I’m based in San Antonio and work with investors on finding off-market deals, so if you ever want to chat strategy or see what’s out there, I’d be glad to connect.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Talk about trial by fire! Why not look at commercial spaces? More professional tenants, higher returns, much easier experience in my opinion

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Travis Mize welcome to the club! You arleady know, it's a long term game.

    McCaw Property Management4.4907 Reviews
  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 298 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    Hi @Travis Mize

    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Losing a parent is incredibly difficult, and I can only imagine what you went through.

    Your journey is truly inspiring. While my path was different, I completely agree that seeking out challenging situations is the best way to learn and grow. Tackling the "worst" properties head-on forces me to develop skills and resilience much faster than you would with easy deals. It's that kind of mindset that leads to real growth, both personally and professionally.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.