Aspiring Investor in the Boston area looking to learn

Aspiring Investor in the Boston area looking to learn

New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm Hanbo, and for the past few months I've been learning about REI from books, blogs, and webinars. I plan to start buying properties in a few years once I have more capital to work with (unless I find good opportunities requiring relatively little starting capital before then), but I figured I can always start learning (especially from more experienced investors) and practicing finding/analyzing deals before then.

Chad Carson's Small and Mighty approach was what initially drew me to REI; it opened my eyes to its wealth-building potential, especially with respect to achieving FIRE.

From speaking to real estate professionals at local events, it looks like multi-family homes outside the Greater Boston Area (but still in MA) are what I should be looking at first, although since I'm very new to REI it's possible my thinking will change over time as I learn more about different markets and strategies (e.g. single family homes in out-of-state markets). That said, I would like to eventually focus on one strategy to master once I get a clearer picture of the pros and cons of each.

I would greatly appreciate any advice for beginners the community can offer, and I'm looking forward to connecting with others!

1Reply
161 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10mo

    @Hanbo Lin

    i recommend starting with a house hack once you are in a financial position to do so

    good luck

    • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Hanbo Lin

      i recommend starting with a house hack once you are in a financial position to do so

      good luck

      I've heard this as well, thanks for the affirmation!


  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10mo

    @Hanbo Lin my best recommendation is to not wait.  Figure out how to do this now and not "wait years" to invest.  You can absolutely acquire properties with smaller amounts of money.  That's my recommendation.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    I would start with house hacking. You have a relatively lower down payment (3.5% or 5%) compared to investment properties (25% down). You also are ideally lowering your cost of living, thus accelerating buying future properties. In my opinion, it is the best way to break into the higher priced markets. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    10mo

    Hanbo, you’re doing it right—stacking skills before buying will pay off. Two quick moves: pick a simple buy box now (duplex/triplex, target towns outside Boston, rent range) and practice underwriting a few real listings each week, then ask a local PM to sanity‑check your rents and expenses.

    Which MA submarkets are you leaning toward, and what’s your initial buy box so we can tighten it?

    • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Elealeh Fulmaran:

      Hanbo, you’re doing it right—stacking skills before buying will pay off. Two quick moves: pick a simple buy box now (duplex/triplex, target towns outside Boston, rent range) and practice underwriting a few real listings each week, then ask a local PM to sanity‑check your rents and expenses.

      Which MA submarkets are you leaning toward, and what’s your initial buy box so we can tighten it?


       Thanks for the advice on asking a PM for a second opinion!

      I'm still researching markets right now, but it looks like Worcester, Taunton, Fall River, and Beverly might be worth looking into, preferably multi families in the $300-400k range. 

  • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10mo

    Thanks for the advice on house hacking! That definitely seems like the best way to start out, especially with a 3.5% FHA loan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.