From Fix-and-Flips & BRRRR to Build-2-Rent

From Fix-and-Flips & BRRRR to Build-2-Rent

Specialist · FL · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 3 votes

I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

Some common challenges with older properties include:

  • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

  • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

  • Longer vacancies that slow returns

Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?

3Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo
Quote from @Mandy Carling:

I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

Some common challenges with older properties include:

  • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

  • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

  • Longer vacancies that slow returns

Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


 I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

Don't just put it in your bank!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Mandy Carling:

    I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

    Some common challenges with older properties include:

    • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

    • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

    • Longer vacancies that slow returns

    Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

    I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


     I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

    Don't just put it in your bank!

    • Specialist · FL · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 3 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:

      I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

      Some common challenges with older properties include:

      • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

      • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

      • Longer vacancies that slow returns

      Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

      I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


       I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

      Don't just put it in your bank!

      Absolutely — that's a smart approach! I love how you're thinking long-term but still actively managing your portfolio each year- not something all BRRRR investors actually do. BRRRR can be powerful for building equity, and using that capital strategically — through 1031 exchanges, larger properties, or other investments — can really accelerate growth.

      It's all about making your money work, not just sitting in a bank. Out of curiosity, are you still finding strong BRRRR opportunities these days? And when you look at your next move, are you leaning more toward scaling with larger rentals or exploring new construction opportunities at all?

    • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:

      I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

      Some common challenges with older properties include:

      • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

      • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

      • Longer vacancies that slow returns

      Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

      I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


       I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

      Don't just put it in your bank!

      Absolutely — that's a smart approach! I love how you're thinking long-term but still actively managing your portfolio each year- not something all BRRRR investors actually do. BRRRR can be powerful for building equity, and using that capital strategically — through 1031 exchanges, larger properties, or other investments — can really accelerate growth.

      It's all about making your money work, not just sitting in a bank. Out of curiosity, are you still finding strong BRRRR opportunities these days? And when you look at your next move, are you leaning more toward scaling with larger rentals or exploring new construction opportunities at all?


       In my market, i run high volume of sales (around 15 per month) and i work with investors so i get to see changing inventory everyday. I offer a lot and have my own crew that have a booklet and decided materials. So we save on purchases and construction. 

      I'm off-loading a lot potentially this summer and next. Looking to acquire a 40-unit this spring in outskirts of my markets. No new construction for now.

    • Specialist · FL · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 3 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:

      I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

      Some common challenges with older properties include:

      • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

      • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

      • Longer vacancies that slow returns

      Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

      I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


       I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

      Don't just put it in your bank!

      Absolutely — that's a smart approach! I love how you're thinking long-term but still actively managing your portfolio each year- not something all BRRRR investors actually do. BRRRR can be powerful for building equity, and using that capital strategically — through 1031 exchanges, larger properties, or other investments — can really accelerate growth.

      It's all about making your money work, not just sitting in a bank. Out of curiosity, are you still finding strong BRRRR opportunities these days? And when you look at your next move, are you leaning more toward scaling with larger rentals or exploring new construction opportunities at all?


       In my market, i run high volume of sales (around 15 per month) and i work with investors so i get to see changing inventory everyday. I offer a lot and have my own crew that have a booklet and decided materials. So we save on purchases and construction. 

      I'm off-loading a lot potentially this summer and next. Looking to acquire a 40-unit this spring in outskirts of my markets. No new construction for now.

      That makes a lot of sense — having that level of deal flow and your own crew/materials dialed in is a huge advantage. Seeing inventory change daily definitely impacts what pencils, especially when you can control both acquisition and construction costs.

      Sounds like you’re being very intentional about timing with off-loading over the next year and selectively acquiring when it makes sense, including looking at larger assets. I also appreciate the insight on sticking with what’s working in your market.

      Always helpful to hear how others with volume are navigating this cycle — thanks for sharing.

    • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Mandy Carling:

      I've been around real estate my whole life — from fix-and-flips to BRRRR strategies. Over time, I've learned what works and what doesn't as markets change.

      Some common challenges with older properties include:

      • Renovation costs that reduce overall returns

      • Unexpected maintenance that impacts predictability

      • Longer vacancies that slow returns

      Takeaway: Real estate isn’t one-size-fits-all. The right strategy is the one that aligns with the market, your goals, and long-term performance.

      I’m curious — how are you approaching your next rental investments: older rehabs, new construction, or a mix of both?


       I hold onto my brrrr deals for like 5-7 years and sell. I re-evaluate my portfolio every yeard and off-load the ones i don't want and take capital and re-invest into larger properties. You can 1031 into something bigger or take capital and invest in other companies. 

      Don't just put it in your bank!

      Absolutely — that's a smart approach! I love how you're thinking long-term but still actively managing your portfolio each year- not something all BRRRR investors actually do. BRRRR can be powerful for building equity, and using that capital strategically — through 1031 exchanges, larger properties, or other investments — can really accelerate growth.

      It's all about making your money work, not just sitting in a bank. Out of curiosity, are you still finding strong BRRRR opportunities these days? And when you look at your next move, are you leaning more toward scaling with larger rentals or exploring new construction opportunities at all?


       In my market, i run high volume of sales (around 15 per month) and i work with investors so i get to see changing inventory everyday. I offer a lot and have my own crew that have a booklet and decided materials. So we save on purchases and construction. 

      I'm off-loading a lot potentially this summer and next. Looking to acquire a 40-unit this spring in outskirts of my markets. No new construction for now.

      That makes a lot of sense — having that level of deal flow and your own crew/materials dialed in is a huge advantage. Seeing inventory change daily definitely impacts what pencils, especially when you can control both acquisition and construction costs.

      Sounds like you’re being very intentional about timing with off-loading over the next year and selectively acquiring when it makes sense, including looking at larger assets. I also appreciate the insight on sticking with what’s working in your market.

      Always helpful to hear how others with volume are navigating this cycle — thanks for sharing.


       Glad that helped! Reach out if you ever have questions. You can also watch the podcast on my biggerpockets page. I talk more about rehab, construction, and selling aggressively.  

  • Specialist · FL · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    9mo

    @Alfath Ahmed 

    That makes a lot of sense — having that level of deal flow and your own crew/materials dialed in is a huge advantage. Seeing inventory change daily definitely impacts what pencils, especially when you can control both acquisition and construction costs.

    Sounds like you’re being very intentional about timing with off-loading over the next year and selectively acquiring when it makes sense, including looking at larger assets. I also appreciate the insight on sticking with what’s working in your market.

    Always helpful to hear how others with volume are navigating this cycle — thanks for sharing.

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    9mo

    Spot on—markets shift and older properties come with those exact gotchas if you're not dialed in. Two practical tips: always underwrite with a 10-15% rehab buffer for surprises and prioritize C/B neighborhoods where maintenance is lower and tenants stick longer. How many doors are you running now, and what's your target cash flow per unit on the next one?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.