New Member from Omaha Nebraska

New Member from Omaha Nebraska

Scott PhillipsPro Member
Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 3 votes

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I am a new investor looking for my first deal. My goal is to build equity over the next 10-15 years in an effort to create some additional cash flow for my wife and I as we approach retirement. We are currently 50 years old so we are getting into the game a little late. Understanding that real estate is not a get rich quick game and that wealth is built over time, I am looking to buy properties that have value add potential to help kick start that equity building process. If I buy turnkey properties in my market of Omaha, Nebraska, I am looking at breakeven cash flow after all expenses and cap ex are factored in. This is fine with me as cash flow is not my #1 driver, but that also means I will be relying on my own savings to put myself in a position for future properties. The Brrrr method is looking like a strong strategy for me and am considering using Hard Money lending as a good way to get started.

So, I am looking for anyone who is willing to share their thoughts on hard money lending and what all I need to consider as part of my underwriting as I evaluate offers. I used to own my own remodeling company so I can do a lot of the work myself, but I also have a full-time job so I realize my effort will need to be supplemented with other contractors. My credit score, average between the 3 sources, is 811 with 791 being the lowest. My wife and my net worth currently is about $1 million. If there are any lenders willing to discuss options or if anyone has thoughts on the subject, I would love to hear your ideas as I work towards my first deal.

Thanks

3Reply
93 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay TolugantiPro Member
    Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2025 · 226 posts · 79 votes
    7mo

    Congratulations on taking steps to get into investment world. Even I started in my late 40's. So, its never too late.  I dont know answer to most of your questions, i would recommend below books to listen to/ read:

    Strategy:

    Rich man in Babylon

    Robert Kiosaki

    • Rich Dad Poor Dad
    • Cashflow Quadrant
    • Guide to investing
    • Real book of Real Estate

    Real Estate Journey:

    Ken McKelroy

    • ABCs of Real Estate Investing
    • Advanced book of Real Estate Investing
    • ABC of Property management
  • Investor · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    5mo

    If you are looking to understand hard money lending, I would suggest reaching out to quite a few of them to understand their underwriting practices.

    Each hard money lender underwrites deals a little differently. And significantly differently than what a bank would underwrite loans at.

    Having worked in commercial lending for 15 years, I can say that I was blown away at all the nuances that hard money lenders consider that a bank wouldn't.

    Once you have a general idea of their underwriting methodology, you can start to analyze the market.

    Let me know if you need help with the underwriting.

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 651 votes
    5mo

    Scott, welcome.  You are poised to enter in a very strategic way based on your credit and cash.  Most people have 40k - 60k and are very confined on how they enter and what their capabilities are.  

    Honestly, in your situation, I'd go STR. Buy outdated, lipstick needing, bells and whistle needing properties, put the money in for the game room, swimming pool, extra beds, extra baths, fire pit, what have you. These houses in the right markets will make 150k+ per year in STR income. I do lots of STR refinances and one of the stips is your trailing 12 month booking income. I have a client who owns an 800k house in a great STR market and the house makes 350k per year in income.

    You'd have to do the first one all cash up front since you are new, most lenders want STR experience. So for instance, a house in Nashville Tenn is selling for 500k. You buy it and you put 150k of bells and whistles on it. You are in for 650k. As soon as the work is done, list it and start making income.

    At the six month point, you are eligible for a cashout refi.  You've owned the property for 6 months, it is making money, and you can get 75% of the value.  Let's say the value is only 700k.  50k over what you are in for.    That's 525k in a cashout refi coming back to you.  So you left 125k in but this house will make 100k+ per year so in 18 months you are even.

    Now on the next buy, you can use financing from the start.  Instead of laying out 650k for a project, lay out 150k and repeat the process.

    I have a client with about 5 strong STR rentals and the income he makes is insane.

    Most people chase fix n flips to build a few hundred grand to a million so they can do something else in RE.  You are starting at a plateau most never even reach.  Take advantage of it.

    There's so much I can tell you about what an opportunity you have if executed strategically.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.