• Homeowner
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
Newbie from Baton Rouge

Scott Harrington
  • Homeowner
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:51

Just wanted to say hi to all here. I'm brand new to this site. I've only recently become interested in real estate investing and have spent the last several months digesting books, magazines, DVDs and TV shows on the subject. Still have plenty to learn and much to do.

I'm currently in the market for my first home, after paying off some substantial debt built while in college and early 20's.

The market here in Baton Rouge is strange at the moment. While there seems to be plenty of inventory, pricing doesn't reflect a buyer's market. My guess (and my realtor sort of confirmed this) is that the market is whacked out due to the after effects of Hurricane Katrina. Many New Orleanians relocated here in the wake of the storm driving prices thru the roof, and while many have returned to New Orleans, the houses they've left are still priced fairly high; I suppose in an effort to recoup what they invested while there was a housing shortage.

If anyone lives or works in my area, I'd be very anxious to chat about the market here and your/my experiences thus far.

Scott

Loading replies...