My first post was 9 years ago but now im back!

My first post was 9 years ago but now im back!

Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 51 votes

Hey everyone,

So this is kind of a full-circle moment for me. I made my first post on here almost 9 years ago when I was just a guy listening to the podcast on repeat, dreaming about getting into real estate but not actually doing anything about it yet.

So I finally took action.

Since then I've wholesaled, flipped, and done buy-and-holds across Massachusetts, Connecticut, Florida, and Michigan. I've had some great wins and some painful lessons including a flip where I lost $37K 

But here's where I'm at now. After years of flipping, I've started to realize the model doesn't excite me the way it used to. The risk-to-reward on a lot of these flips just stopped making sense to me putting up serious capital and taking on all that exposure for a $20–30K profit. Meanwhile I'm watching guys close commercial deals for life-changing numbers with way less risk. It reframed everything.

So I'm going all-in on commercial. I recently made the move to South Florida and I'm specifically getting interested in retail properties down here. The Florida market is a different animal population growth, no state income tax, businesses relocating constantly and I think there's real long-term opportunity in retail if you know where to look.

That's where I'd love to tap into this community again.

A few things I'm trying to learn from people actually doing it:

  • For those in retail/commercial in South Florida what submarkets are you most bullish on right now?
  • How are you underwriting retail deals in this environment with where rates are at?
  • Any advice for someone transitioning from residential flipping into commercial? What do you wish you knew earlier?

Appreciate this community it's wild to come back almost a decade later as a totally different investor than the kid who made that first post. Would love to connect with anyone in the South Florida commercial space.

Thank you!

3Reply
72 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Pablo Ottenwalder Jr.:

    Hey everyone,

    So this is kind of a full-circle moment for me. I made my first post on here almost 9 years ago when I was just a guy listening to the podcast on repeat, dreaming about getting into real estate but not actually doing anything about it yet.

    So I finally took action.

    Since then I've wholesaled, flipped, and done buy-and-holds across Massachusetts, Connecticut, Florida, and Michigan. I've had some great wins and some painful lessons including a flip where I lost $37K 

    But here's where I'm at now. After years of flipping, I've started to realize the model doesn't excite me the way it used to. The risk-to-reward on a lot of these flips just stopped making sense to me putting up serious capital and taking on all that exposure for a $20–30K profit. Meanwhile I'm watching guys close commercial deals for life-changing numbers with way less risk. It reframed everything.

    So I'm going all-in on commercial. I recently made the move to South Florida and I'm specifically getting interested in retail properties down here. The Florida market is a different animal population growth, no state income tax, businesses relocating constantly and I think there's real long-term opportunity in retail if you know where to look.

    That's where I'd love to tap into this community again.

    A few things I'm trying to learn from people actually doing it:

    • For those in retail/commercial in South Florida what submarkets are you most bullish on right now?
    • How are you underwriting retail deals in this environment with where rates are at?
    • Any advice for someone transitioning from residential flipping into commercial? What do you wish you knew earlier?

    Appreciate this community it's wild to come back almost a decade later as a totally different investor than the kid who made that first post. Would love to connect with anyone in the South Florida commercial space.

    Thank you!


     Good morning Pablo,

    Man.. thats powerful stuff right there! Keep doing your thing brother.

    I like the pivot. I don't operate in South Fl. But I have some family down near Coral Springs (Broward County)... tons of development there, and it's been growing the last 6-7 years or so. 

    If it's not too late to find deals there, I'd consider Coral Springs or similar areas near Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Again, I speak as an outsider, but Long Island has been arguably the hottest market in the country, and I see some similarities between Broward County and Long Island. 

    Great to see your story go full circle!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.