New Guy from Northern California (Mendocino County)

New Guy from Northern California (Mendocino County)

Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes

Hi Folks,

What a great site. Glad to have stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. Here's a bit about me:

I live in the hills outside of a little town called Ukiah, about 2 hours north of San Francisco. I grew up here, and moved back about ten years ago with my wife to build a green/natural house and raise a family. We now have a nice little house on a beautiful plot of land and two great kiddos. I have a BA in Environmental Studies and an MBA with a focus on sustainable/green business. I work at the local community college where I started a sustainability/construction/renewable energy/energy efficiency program and teach some courses. I know a fair bit about green building, solar, renewables, energy efficiency, eco-development...

As for real estate, we bought a triplex (now 4 plex) in Fort Bragg in 2012. I knew very little about real estate but I knew enough to see that prices were at historic lows, interests rates were at historic lows, rents were still strong, and it seemed like things were beginning to turn around. I think we did pretty good on the place. I've been enjoying fixing it up and getting a feel for being a landlord. Now I'm hooked. Looking to figure out a next buy, educating myself as much/quickly as I can, networking, and working on getting my real estate license as a way to get more knowledgeable and perhaps open some additional doors (I think I found BG googling pros and cons of getting a license as a way to progress as an investor). At this point I'd say I'm a buy/fix and holder, but looking to learn about other avenues and interested in national/international as well as local. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to being a part of this community. 

-Orion

2Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

@Orion Walker ,

Welcome to the site! Came to the right place, and a lot of awesome people on here! I invest in the East Bay in the SF Bay Area, but there are lots of great investors further up in California too. I'm definitely a believer in networking, and check out my website for an awesome targeted networking event in Nov in SF. You also might want to get ahold of @Al Williamson up in Sac for meetups in the future. (although still a ways from you..)

When you first said something about "green" buildings up in Mendo, I was about to crack the medical MJ joke, but sounds like you've really built (literally and figuratively) great sustainable growth around you, between the house and "organically" growing the sustainable model where you teach too. Good for you! You could post that by itself in the success forum, and congrats on the tri/4plex! Not everyone practices what they preach. Good for you Orion. 

Hope to see you in Nov, or hopefully meet you before that sometime next time you're down here, or if I'm up near the "green triangle." OK, I'll stop with the jokes/puns and Mendo references!

Welcome Orion!!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker ,

    Welcome to the site! Came to the right place, and a lot of awesome people on here! I invest in the East Bay in the SF Bay Area, but there are lots of great investors further up in California too. I'm definitely a believer in networking, and check out my website for an awesome targeted networking event in Nov in SF. You also might want to get ahold of @Al Williamson up in Sac for meetups in the future. (although still a ways from you..)

    When you first said something about "green" buildings up in Mendo, I was about to crack the medical MJ joke, but sounds like you've really built (literally and figuratively) great sustainable growth around you, between the house and "organically" growing the sustainable model where you teach too. Good for you! You could post that by itself in the success forum, and congrats on the tri/4plex! Not everyone practices what they preach. Good for you Orion. 

    Hope to see you in Nov, or hopefully meet you before that sometime next time you're down here, or if I'm up near the "green triangle." OK, I'll stop with the jokes/puns and Mendo references!

    Welcome Orion!!

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome @J Martin just checked out/signed up on the bay area meet up site. Yeah, Mendo certainly has a reputation in that regard. Makes for some interesting challenges in the buying/renting arena. I'd prefer to be known for our beautiful coastline, cute old towns and amazing redwoods myself. We are getting there. Recently voted in the top three places to visit world wide in a New York Times article. Anyhow, thanks for the welcome, glad to be here learning and connecting. 

    -Orion

  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker welcome to BP  Orion.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome! I'm down south in LA.

  • Tom MolePro Member
    Investor · Sunland, CA · Member since 2013 · 260 posts · 240 votes
    12y

    Welcome to the community, @Orion Walker. Like Ali, I'm in So Cal where things are difficult but always interesting.

    Congratulations on taking action and getting started with the plex! You're off to an awesome start.

    Can you tell us a bit more about what you're looking for to fix 'n' hold? Are you planning to stay with plexes or are you thinking to step into the commercial realm? Are you looking for investments currently? (Please don't say you're waiting for your RE license ;) How are you funding your deals? Is there anyway I can help?

    Great meeting you here.

    All the best.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 294 posts · 113 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Orion Walker See you around the forums!

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP, Orion! 

    I'm especially interested to hear about your plans for greening your rentals. I'm in Wisconsin, and here we're trying to create a widespread green rental network. Check out some of my previous posts for more info, or contact me!

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tom Mole:

    Can you tell us a bit more about what you're looking for to fix 'n' hold? Are you planning to stay with plexes or are you thinking to step into the commercial realm? Are you looking for investments currently? (Please don't say you're waiting for your RE license ;) How are you funding your deals? Is there anyway I can help.

    Hey Tom, thanks for the questions. Honestly I'm just asking those same questions myself at this stage. I'm confident I have a solid set of skills and strengths to bring to this arena, but I have plenty to learn and I don't yet know what my next steps should be. I want to get clear on the basics so that I can recognize good and bad opportunities, I want to figure out how to move forward without much cash, I want to connect with folks who've been there and are willing to offer advice... 

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcomes @Christopher Hunter @Ali Boone @Tom Mole @Robert Musallam @Tanya F. 

    Great to see such an active community, lots of folks signing up, yet experienced folks make time to welcome newbies. Cool.

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    @Tanya F. Yeah, I certainly have an interest in greening the places I buy, I know there are ways to do it that make financial sense, but as a newbie I've been focusing on the basics so far. Now that I have that first 4plex remodeled and rented I figure I can take some time to continue to upgrade the property as cash flow allows. I'd be interested to connect with you to learn more about the green rental network you mentioned. Seems like something that would do well in Northern Cali too. I'm sure there must be something similar in this region. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Orion Walker  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the tip @Dmitriy Fomichenko. On that note I'll mention that I'm particularly interested in connecting with folks in the Northern California and North Bay areas including Santa Rosa, Sonoma, Ukiah, Fort Bragg, Lake County, Eureka, Marin etc. Definitely also interested in developing a broader network, but would be great to connect with some folks in the local region. 

  • Property Manager · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker  welcome! I live in santa rosa and invest in some rentals in Sonoma county, i used to work up in Ukiah and Willits great area. And sounds like you got a great deal there in Ft. Bragg. Look forward to meeting you in november. 

  • Investor · Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker, welcome to the site. I'm a fix and flip investor in Humboldt County, with our of state rentals, based out of Mckinleyville. I've spent a lot of time in Fort Bragg over the past fifteen years - it's one of my favorite places to visit, usually coupled with abalone diving. Let me know if you ever head further north, we can meet up.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker

    Welcome. Some of this you might have discovered. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    @Thomas Bernota  Yeah, Fort Bragg is a cool little town. I like that having our place over there gets me out to the coast more often. We love taking our bikes over and riding along the hull road and playing on the beach. 

    Thanks for taking the time to say hello. 

  • Investor · Kensington, CA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Hi @Orion Walker !   I just drove through your town on the way to Laytonville last week.  I live in San Rafael and have invested in Solano and Contra Costa county.

    I have scheduled a few San Rafael meet-ups and will likely do another one soon.   Welcome to the site, tons to learn here.

    Kathleen

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Kathleen L. ,

    Where have you been, and when are you doing the next meetup up there? @Amit M. and I will be going to the next monthly BAWB meetup up in your area, on the 17th I believe.. Wanna join? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomington, IN · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    hey @Orion Walker welcome to the site as well! Like @Tanya F. I am very interested in greening up our rental spaces. I don't have near the credentials in this area as you but am really excited to find large scale options that make our investments more profitable and better for the earth. I just learned about methane digesters, how cool would it be if large apartment complexes used food waste from residents to supplement heating costs!? Cheers and good luck!

  • Investor · Kensington, CA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    12y
  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    Hey @Kathleen L., good to meet you here on BP. I was just up past Laytonville a couple weeks back for the Kate Wolf Music festival. Camped with the family, had a great time. 

    Let me know if you're in this neck of the woods again, I'd love to meet and chat. 

    And if you're organizing any meetups or know of other events or folks in the north bay that I should connect with I'm all ears. 

    Thanks!

    -Orion

  • Investor · Kensington, CA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Orion Walker I was at Kate Wolf, too!!  And also in the family camp....too bad we hadn't met before.  We had a great time.

    I'll definitely let you know next time I'm up that way!

    Kathleen

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Orion Walker welcome to the site!

    BiggerPockets
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Orion Walker welcome to the site! it's great to have you!

  • Investor · Ukiah, CA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 83 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome @Brandon Turner! I knew when I bought my 4plex back in 2012 that I was just going on gut instinct and that at some point I would need/want to get educated on how to actually pursue RE with some knowledge and strategy. Stumbled on BP while researching whether I should get a license as a means to advancing my investment interests. What a great resource. Loving the Podcast. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.