New from Central California

8 Replies

Hey BP,

Glad to have found this awesome community full of knowledge, can't wait to see how much I can learn from you guys.  I been listening to a lot of the podcasts and taking a lot of notes.

Born and raised in Fresno, CA and Alumni of Fresno State.  I am a full time engineer, on the road worldwide 80% of the time so I spend a lot of time in hotels.  Wanted to buy a house for myself but since I'm never around I felt it would be wasteful, last year with interest rates and housing market so low (before i even knew about BP!), I took a leap and purchased a short sale single family home to be used as a rental property.  Locked in a low interest rate and been coming out positive, tenants just renewed for a 2nd year so I am feeling really good, maintenance work has been minimal.  Starting to look for a 2nd property in Fresno to continue building my fortune.

Currently:
-Learning a lot about tax breaks / deductions available 
-Landlording, 
-Different ways to increase ROI (interested in how others are doing in the same market)
-Weighing pros and cons(risk) if I should try section 8 tenants
-finding good repair/maintenance men

Excited to share my experiences while learning from BP's wealth of knowledge. 

Hey @Thanh Bui  welcome to BP! I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

How to Rent Your House: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

How to Be a Landlord: Ten Tips for Success

See you around the site!

Welcome to Biggerpocket!

We are also buy and hold investors with full time jobs too. We live in Hanford/Lemoore and are buy and hold investors. We specialize in class A properties so we can self manage them. While the profit margins are smaller, we have almost a 0% vacancy rate, low expenses and no management fee. We also get a higher class of property that I expect will increase higher than inflection. 

Definitly check out the blogs, podcast and forums. Another great source of information is individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc.

Look forward to seeing you around! If you ever want to get together and compare notes.

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

Thanks guys, read your blogs, enjoying all the information I'm learning here.  I'll be on the forums soon after my mind calms down, I'm processing the knowledge overload at the moment.  

Loving the energy here.

Welcome to BP community @Thanh Bui   It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Wishing you the best! 

Welcome Thanh,

There is nothing about RE investing you cannot learn on this site. Just search the site with keywords and multitudes of info will show up to learn from. The construction repair/maintenance topic seems to be a particularly universal problem for many investors until you find a great one so just really do your homework and get referrals if you can. I am new to REI but that is the one issue I don't have, we are in the construction business, and know firsthand what problems deceptive or inexperienced contractors can cause- even to other contractors.

Best

Rachael

@Thanh Bui  

Welcome to BP! My firm is in Fresno and we really enjoy this market. I'm really pleased to see a local Fresnan take an active interest in the many investing opportunities we have here. Low cost of entry and high rental rates. 

Welcome Thanh @Thanh Bui   !

Like yourself, I'm a former Fresnan living in LA. and looking at my hometown to invest. BP has been a great resource and I've connected with some members as well. I'll be attending local REIA's to start networking because it's all about building long term relationships. Let me know if you're interested and I'll share my experience with you. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you