Atlanta, GA 1st time invester

12 Replies

Hello all,

Current home owner in Atlanta. Working on building my business plan and preparing to purchase my first investment property. 

I bought a fixer up in 2011, have put a lot of time and money into it, I have learned so much along the way. I have a roommate/tenet and currently am "house hacking" as I believe either Josh Dorkin or Brandon Turner call it (can't remember which one calls it that). 

Looking to connect, meet some cool people, learn about real estate, and make some money along the way :). Plan on taking a slow growth approach to growing a portfolio. 

thanks,

Brett Hoover 

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

We are buy and hold investors. Our speciality is self-manage specifically long distance and local. Our niche has been class A distressed properties. We got bitten "three" years ago and have been slowly growing ever since.  We both work full time and self manage so this has defined our business model.

This is a great site because there are tons of different "Strategies". We are buy and hold, others are wholesalers, bird dog, flippers etc. Look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away.

Look forward to seeing you around! PM me if you want to connect :)

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Brett,

I too am starting my investing career with the house hacking approach. I plan to put in some sweat equity while living there, and renting out the other half of the building (a Duplex). I think its a great way to get started in REI with relatively less risk than jumping straight into a true investment property that you manage remotely!

-Scott

Welcome Brett to a most useful resource. BP has all the information you're going to need. Looks like you're able to call your first project a success as you seem to have survived it! ;) Congratulations! Best of luck with all your deals.

Gage is Correct

Its all about networking.   I am also in the Atlanta area looking to network with other investors

@Scott Trench I completely agree, its a great approach. You will learn a lot through that process. Even if you don't "swing the hammer" yourself you will see what goes into different elements of it through your contractors. 

@David T. Thank you! Yes I am finally getting my town home how I want it/needs to be. 

@Gage Miles Thank you Gage I agree networking is key to most everything in life/business. 

@Gerald , Aggreed. 

@Brandon Turner Thank you for the warm welcome. I love the podcasts you guys put out on itunes!! 

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you