New member - from Seattle area

3 Replies

Long-time listener, first time poster.  

No questions, just an introduction.  I'm Bruce from the Seattle area, and my wife, Tamar, and I have been fans of the podcasts since we started listening to them in July. That was about the time when we had the 'aha' moment that real estate is where we wanted to focus our future investments.

We're relative newbies in investment real estate, though we had been a landlord many years ago. Shortly after we were married, my wife was transferred to Minnesota for work, where we settled in lovely Woodbury, MN.  Since we had just closed on a house in Seattle, we decided to rent it out, and because of the cost-of-living difference between the two cities, we were able to use the net cashflow and essentially pay for our housing in MN (note: we did get a great deal on both homes).

Long story short, we moved back to Seattle, sold the MN house, and had kids. That brings us to today, where we just closed on our first rental property. We found a great foreclosure deal close to downtown Seattle in, what we feel, is an up and coming neighborhood, with restaurants, services, and transportation close by.

Now that we've jumped in, we hope to be more active in the forums and meet some of our fellow Seattle BP'ers.

Cheers,

Bruce Mar

Welcome to BP community @Bruce Mar   It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

This is an awesome place to meet fellow investors as you have already noticed. Our "foot in the door" was through personal property. My husband is active duty navy so we move alot. We have done well renting out our personals turn rentals along with buying pure rentals. We have bought shortsale and foreclosures. This has allowed us to to get great deals.

There are lots of great options. The one thing that everyone agrees on at this forum is investing in personal properties. Beyond that, everyone has their own "style". We have learned to turn lemonades into lemonade. We figured out our goal and from there have simple to turned everything into an opportunity to achieve that goal. If you had told us 3 years ago where we would be today. I would have laughed. The key has been to adapt. Our challenges have actually made us better investors.

Another great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you