New from Columbia, MD

16 Replies

I am a newish investor from Columbia, MD.  I have townhouse that I've rented out for the past 4 years and am looking to buy another investment property by next summer.  I'd love to find people in my area to connect with.  

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche!

I grew up 20 minute from Columbia area.  Starting with your personal property is a fantastic way to get started in real estate. 

You might want to look into short sales. As investors we specialize in short sales. They are my FAVORITE type of investment. While they have their own "special spice of hardness". They are a great way to get your foot in the door at a cheaper price. So your money goes farther.

We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while working full time. So we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio.

I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help! Good luck!!!

@Sandra Holt  

Welcome to BP!  It is good to see another Marylander joining.  I work the lower Montgomery County region if you ever want to connect and exchange thoughts and ideas or if you are researching projects closer to the DC metro area I'd be happy to help.  Have a great 2015! 

Welcome @Sandra Holt  .  There are a lot of active members on this forum from the DMV area that I am sure you will get to meet.  We also have a monthly Meetup in DC focused on real estate investing.  The link to the meetup is on my profile page if you ever want to network. Good luck with all your plans. 

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

@ Andraise Scott here are couple meetup groups in our area. Just google them. Also go to meetup.com and you can find a bunch of other groups. Just be careful because some of them are trying to sell you a program.

1. BWI meetup (I've heard a lot of great things about this meetup group. I plan on attending the next meeting.)
  2. Baltimore REIA
  3. Traction REIA ( I haven't gone to this one, but a coworker of mine finds it helpful. They do offer a bootcamp, which makes me a bit suspicious.)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you