Newbie from Longmeadow, Mass

14 Replies

Hello Everyone, it's taken me some time to write and introduce myself although I have been enjoying the pod-casts and website for some time. I am primarily a buy and hold investor looking for multifamily and some single family deals in my local Springfield area and also looking at Northern CT. I love the forums and the availability of advice to those of us fairly new to the field. I hope as I grow in knowledge and experience to be able to offer the same to others getting started.

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property

@Suzanne Ishak  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the reading suggestions. I already have the J Scott books so just have to knuckle down and read them. I am a member of CTreia and have been attending their meetings and courses but I'd like to go to some in MA as well. Also found some good advice on retipster.com, 101 things everyone needs to know about real estate investing.

@Suzanne Ishak

Welcome to the community! Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. this site has a wealth of information, but only if you seek it out. Join meetups, post questions, read blogs, and I always suggest a podcast marathon. Good luck!

Hi Suzanne, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.  Most of us are more east but plenty in the 413, quite a lot in CT as well so connect with them too.

Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have.  Good that you are already going to the CTREIA.  Not much that I know of in MA out your way.  I'd recommend trying to go to the Black Diamond meeting in Worcester.  Great information and networking so worth the drive.  If you want to get super ambitious there are lots of stuff closer to Boston.

@Suzanne Ishak  

Welcome .  BP is a great site to et started on. 

BP is a great resource. Full of great tips and reads. One tip that I picked up here is while you are starting out and saving money for your investments, start driving / visiting areas you would like to invest in so you get a feel for prices, rents , house conditions etc, and visit and look at lots of homes and open houses so your eye get used to looking at repairs / upgrades that are normal in a particular market. I really dont think you can look at too many properties, and the more you look, the more knowledge you will gain for that market

The  weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice, has has over 90 shows now so you can do a couple of marathons

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have started "driving for dolllars" as they say, looking for FSBO, uncut grass, newspapers and flyers, for rent even and I am starting to find leads. This website has helped me so much. When I am unsure about something, I just search for it here.

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

@Suzanne Ishak ,

To Make the @ work do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

Raymond

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you