New Investor from San Jose, CA

13 Replies

Hello everyone, this is Elan from San Jose, CA. A good friend of mine and I partnered up to invest in Multi-Family properties. We've been looking for places that are about a couple of hours drive from San Jose, CA. We want to stay local, at least initially. 

We have narrowed our search to Stockton, CA. I know it is not the best of neighborhoods, but we want to start something small, get some experience before venturing to more pricier areas.

I have been soaking up on the wealth of information in BP and am really glad to stumble upon such an active community. Would love to hear from some investor-friendly agents specializing in Multi-Family properties in Stockton, CA.

Hi Elanchelvan,

I lived in San Jose for about a year. The real estate market must be crazy in the Bay Area right now.  I decided to move back to Seattle and found real estate opportunities to be more fun here in WA.  

Welcome to BP and would love to hear how things go in Stockton.  Best of luck!

Regards,

Adrian

Welcome to BP. I'm in the Bay Area as well. This is an amazing website and you will learn tons of great stuff on here!

Hello Elanchelvan,

Your post about multi-family properties sent an alert to me. I am an agent based in Stockton. If you would send your contact info, I can help you find good investments. Give me a call.

Annie

@Elanchelvan E.   - Welcome!  I was at a Real Estate Investing Summit in the Bay area last Fall - the great news is that you have lots of knowledgeable investors in your area that are also lots of fun.   I would encourage you to get involved in your local meet ups as soon as possible. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome Elan! I live in Santa Clara and have been actively investing in the Sacramento and Central valley for a little over a year now.  I haven't ventured into Stockton...yet, however I drive through Stockton as a relief from the overcrowded I-80 corridor between SF and Sac.

I market mostly to Single Family but run into duplex and 4-plex opportunities off market in the Sacramento area.  As with any town there are good parts and bad or as investors like to put it... A neighborhoods through D neighborhoods.  Stockton and the central valley took a huge hit from the crash but seems to be recovering well.  I would suggest learning those neighborhoods in and out to find the right fit before you commit.

I think you're doing the right thing, looking for agents and other investors to educate yourself.  Good luck to you!

Thank you everyone for the welcome - really appreciate your inputs!

@Adrian Chu  The prices in the San Jose area are unbelievable with low returns.

@Andrew Davis   Thanks for the Podcasts link, I will check them out.

@Annie Bliss  Thanks for the Multi-Family specialization! I will reach out to you today.

@Jonna Weber  I'm looking forward to a local meetup.

@Sorab G.  Thanks for the tip about A~D Neighborhoods. I'm hoping to reach out to the BP community as soon as I find something I like.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you