Newly licensed agent (wannabe investor) in Cincinnati

Newly licensed agent (wannabe investor) in Cincinnati

Residential Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone!

My name is John Hall and I've been interested in RE without taking action for far too long.

First of all, many many thanks to all of you who take the time to read this. Like I said in the subject line, I am a newly licensed agent who wants very much to be an investor. I have been a BiggerPockets member since 2013 reading and reading and reading. Not until now have I completed my profile and actually tried to utilize this wonderful information filled community. I received my license a little over a month ago after completing a (now defunct) 2 year AAB program in RE at Cincinnati State. I know you only need 3 classes to get licensed, but I wanted to gain as much industry knowledge as possible as well as the knowledge from the business classes. I learned a ton and now it's time to take action. I have been blessed to start working for a brokerage that specializes in working for/with RE investors. I have already learned many things and hope to learn (as I'm sure I will) many more. It's really quite awesome because I get to learn how to be a traditional agent as well as how to be an investor/investor friendly agent.

Right now I'm in the process of building my RE network. I'm trying to get my name and face out there so everyone knows what I'm doing (pretty standard). I want to meet and learn from as many people as possible. Then I can help and teach as many people as possible. I want to learn from others so I can pass on the knowledge to those after me. Hopefully, after enough deals and experience, I can build my own investment business with rental properties.

So then, any advice or encouragement is greatly welcomed. I look forward to any and every response. Please check out my profile and connect with me! Hopefully we can do business together. Thank You for your time. Have a Great Day!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor & Contractor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 33 votes
11y

Hey I'm also in Cincinnati!  I am working towards my certified general appraising license, so I am a little different than an agent but I'll lend my personal opinion.

I deal with several agents on a daily basis whether it be for appraising or investing. My biggest pet peeve that has caused me to churn through agents is they don't return phone calls in a timely manner. I had an agent call yesterday on a home that I called about 3 weeks ago!  Another tip that will help you once you have a sale in the works. If the appraiser calls you, be as helpful as you can. That will go a LONG way and make you stand out.  Daily I have agents make it seem as if I am ruining their day when we call to set inspections for homes.  If and when you have an appraiser call, be as helpful as you can. That will make your commission that much easier to earn!

Return phone calls quickly!! Standing out from the crowd isn't hard if you put effort in. Good luck to you and your journey. Contact me if I can be of anymore help! 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @John Hall welcome to the site! Great to have you here! If you haven't checked out the The BiggerPockets Podcast yet, I highly recommend it!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    Hey @John Hall, glad to see another investor (or soon to be) from Cincinnati.  I too am brand new to real estate investing and have yet to do a deal but have been learning a ton over the last month from being on BP.  There's so much information on here, I'm sure you will benefit greatly from being a part of this community.  As @Brandon Turner said, the podcast is great, I listen to them every chance I get.  Welcome aboard!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @John Hall It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 150 posts · 59 votes
    11y

    Hey @John Hall, welcome to the community. Have you gone to any of the REIA meetings? I would think that may be a good place outside of BP to network and find some people who are just getting started as well and who are looking for someone, such as you, to help them along.

    Let me know how you like your brokerage.  I'm considering getting my license next year and if I do, I'll be looking for a place to hang it with.

  • Investor & Contractor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    Hey I'm also in Cincinnati!  I am working towards my certified general appraising license, so I am a little different than an agent but I'll lend my personal opinion.

    I deal with several agents on a daily basis whether it be for appraising or investing. My biggest pet peeve that has caused me to churn through agents is they don't return phone calls in a timely manner. I had an agent call yesterday on a home that I called about 3 weeks ago!  Another tip that will help you once you have a sale in the works. If the appraiser calls you, be as helpful as you can. That will go a LONG way and make you stand out.  Daily I have agents make it seem as if I am ruining their day when we call to set inspections for homes.  If and when you have an appraiser call, be as helpful as you can. That will make your commission that much easier to earn!

    Return phone calls quickly!! Standing out from the crowd isn't hard if you put effort in. Good luck to you and your journey. Contact me if I can be of anymore help! 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the warm welcome. I've checked out the podcast and agree it is great. I have been to a few REIA meetings, and have been planning to get more involved. And Hey Justin Thompson, I totally agree and have experienced this myself far too many times in my RE journey, and I swore/swear not to be that agent! Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.