New Member from Palmdale, CA

14 Replies

I'm 23 years old and a recent graduate from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with my B.A. in Economics. I'm currently pursuing my Salesperson License but also want to start building my real estate portfolio! I'm interested in buy and hold as I'm in it for the long-haul. I've interned with a commercial real estate investment firm in L.A. and taken a Real Estate Finance & Investments course in college. I also help my dad out with the property management of his rental home.

As you can tell, I'm just getting started in the industry and have a long way to go. However, real estate investing is what really excites me and I look forward to learning and sharing my experiences with you all!

John Steele and Ali Boone : Thank you both for welcoming me to BP! I appreciate it. Being that you, John, are based in San Diego, and you, Ali, are familiar with the Antelope Valley, what are your thoughts on first time investors investing in Southern California? Specifically house-hacking, as that is what I consider the most viable option for me to get started. In my opinion houses are just a bit overpriced right now and the rent-to-value ratio in our region isn't that great to begin with. Any thoughts/suggestions?

@Luis Mendoza

Welcome to BP! According to Aaron Norris, a very well respected SoCal forecaster, reports there are still deals in the AV so you are in luck. You can build long-term profits right in your own backyard. Keep in mind rent to price is one factor, for long-term holds other fundamental factors come into play. Good luck!

http://www.zillow.com/research/landlord-profit-7357/

@Luis Mendoza

The market in Southern California/ San Diego is pretty pricey and competitive. House hacking (buying and living in the unit while making repairs/upgrades, rinse and repeat) may be a good option as it can be hard to find properties that cashflow in this area but making upgrades to distressed properties can build you equity right away. Are you committed to investing in Southern California? I personally ended up buying some turnkey properties out of state because the numbers worked better for me. Not everyone likes the idea of investing out of state though.

Welcome to BP community @Luis Mendoza It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

Welcome Luis. You are probably at the best or one of the best ages to start your real estate investment career, you are young and that is the best time since time is a big factor in real estate investing. Whatever equity you build up if you do it right will give you great returns securely over the years. If you do not want to go it alone you might consider joining others. I am starting a new real estate joint venture group for newbees. If you or anyone else is interested you and/or they are welcome to connect with me and become my colleague. just send me a request and I will accept you as my new colleague. 

Oh wow! Thank you everyone for all the information! So much to digest.

@Matt R. Thanks for the tip! That's great to hear, I'll be keeping an eye out for deals out here.

@Michael Sato thank you!

@Kevin Tom Good luck getting started! If you need advice on a particular area, I know the AV pretty well and can give you my two cents

@John Steele I'm not opposed to investing out of state. I'm unsure whether that'd be my best option for my first property given that I want to house hack, unless I move out of state.

@Dmitriy Fomichenko Thank you for all the great resources and info!

@Derrick Craig Thank you! Best of luck to you!

@Mark Nolan Thanks for the info Mark!

@Gilbert Dominguez Thanks for the advice! I will definitely give it some thought and send you a request.

Matt R. Michael Sato Kevin Tom John Steele Dmitriy Fomichenko Derrick Craig Mark Nolan Gilbert Dominguez Sorry, I hope I tagged everyone correctly! I'm still getting used to the app.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you