New member - video surveillance in SF

4 Replies

Hi everyone,

just signed up to Bigger Pockets.

Our family has recently purchased a four-plex in San Francisco and we are having some "fun" discovered the twists of the San Francisco rent-controlled market. We want to move into one of the units and we've currently filed a 60-days notice for an owner move-in eviction. We've already piled $6k in attorney fees without a clear view of what is going to happen next (it seems an unlawful detainer).

I would like to install security cameras in the common areas of the property. Has anyone vetted if this is feasible in San Francisco? And/or under which constraints?

Thanks!

RF

I live in the Bay Area so can just speak to this anecdotally. I will say that many properties in the city do have surveillance cameras. Is this for security purposes? Good luck getting tenants out I hear it's a huge pain!

Originally posted by @Kevin Wood :

I live in the Bay Area so can just speak to this anecdotally. I will say that many properties in the city do have surveillance cameras. Is this for security purposes? Good luck getting tenants out I hear it's a huge pain!

Yes, security camera is for security purposes viewing the gate and main entrance. The property had some bars on windows one of which we had to remove for safety issues. Don't know the history of burglary but just wanted to take action to deter.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you