New Member - Austin & Houston, TX

11 Replies

What up guys (and gals)? My name is Patrick Anastasio. I currently live and work in Houston, TX but I am about to make a jump to Austin and will be back and forth equally between the two cities and I am looking to do business in both of these amazing locations. I am a licensed attorney and I work for a major title insurance company in commercial real estate title/escrow/closing. I am looking to start my own agency however as I find the work rather easy and I figure I might as well reap the benefits of owning my own company rather than be a slave to a crappy salary. No risk, no reward right? I am really looking at getting into property investment and development (residential and commercial).

A bit about me: I am at the point in my life where I have held two extremely corporate jobs and I have discovered that I can't do corporate. I want autonomy and independence in my career. I have also discovered that I cannot be a typical lawyer, working at a firm, etc... I have two awesome kids (boys) and I want to set a good example for them and show them that they don't need to be sheep (as I was taught to be). I grew up in a family that taught me to go to college, study something useful, and get a job... and I did... and I can't imagine being more unhappy with the result. I have always wanted to start my own business and I feel with my education and experience that now is the time. I have people who are willing to help me and access to capital, though limited.

I discovered BP sort of by accident. I have my bachelor's in finance and I am the type of guy who is very analytical, number oriented, keep my life in an excel spreadsheet, and I was looking for a resource/book that would teach all of the pertinent calculations and financial modeling tools necessary to make good decisions in RE investing. One of the pages that popped up in my internet search was a BP discussion page recommending a book. So I bought the book but didn't think twice about the BP website... dime a dozen. Then a couple weeks later a friend and I were talking about the drudgery of my work commute (over an hour each way) and he suggested I listen to podcasts while driving. So I opened the app on my phone and found the BP podcast and thought, I was just on this website the other day and it turned me onto this awesome book... I'll check it out. I started listening and I really liked it. I thought, these guys really have their **** together. I kept hearing about the BP community and starting a profile and the benefits of BP membership... so here I am.

Welcome @Patrick Anastasio it’s a pleasure to have you here! You will find this a tremendous resource for all of your real estate needs. You may want to set up some “keyword alerts” to notify the topics that interest you the most.

Wishing you the best!

Welcome to BP @Patrick Anastasio landlord/wholesaler here from Austin. I shuttle back and forth between here and Houston as well though and I will be expanding my business into Houston with in the next few months.  Good luck man feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.  Although since i'm not in the commercial side of the business I may not be your best bet : )  But happy to help if I can!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you