New Member From South Central Indiana

9 Replies

Hello all. My name is Matt and I've been a professional poker player since 2004 after I graduated from IU. I now play pretty large PLO games in Cincinnati and other areas after previously playing tourneys til black Friday. I first got into real estate a few years ago after reading a massive thread on a poker forum. The user spec x was a buy and hold investor who did value add and mostly bought properties that weren't listed on MLS. He gave a ton of good insight. I looked at properties around then but never jumped in.

I'm married with 2 kids now so I'm always thinking about the future and I want an exit strategy from poker if need be so I thought real estate would be a great option.  I started reading that thread again, found a link to biggerpockets and listened to tons of podcasts and read the articles/forums.  I've looked at a few properties and hopefully can find a good deal soon. 

Welcome to BP! You will find more information than you can probably consume at first.  Anytime you get stuck on a topic, just ask.  Set your goals and take massive action! Good luck!

Originally posted by @Matt Sterling :

I first got into real estate a few years ago after reading a massive thread on a poker forum. The user spec x was a buy and hold investor who did value add and mostly bought properties that weren't listed on MLS.

That was a good thread.  I contributed on it for a while (AcesUp)...

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you