New investor from Austin, Tx

5 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

I'm a beginner, 25 years old and living in Austin, Tx. I've been lurking: reading the forums, blogs, and listening to podcasts for a few months now and have finally mustered up the courage to introduce myself.

In the past couple of weeks I've partnered up with another new investor and we are bird dogging for a couple of reputable local investors. We just completed our first round of door knocking the foreclosure list. We knocked on >50 doors, talked to about 10-15 people. We had one strong lead, which unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to pan out. All in all it was a good experience and I'm still driven to keep up the marketing. It looks like this next time around we're going to tighten down our marketing area and expand our strategies.

My biggest personal/business goal is to get past my shyness (my partner has done most of the speaking). My july goal: get at least one bird dog deal done and start learning how to do these deals! I'm looking forward to learning more by doing and getting feedback from our mentors and the BiggerPockets community along the way!

Cheers!

@Laura Robertson

Welcome! It's awesome that you've started birddogging - never done it myself, but I'm sure it'll be a great learning experience. You are already ahead of 95% of people who never take that first step. And don't look at your shyness as a handicap - it's an asset. Think of it as the opposite of pushy, obnoxious and loud :-) I'm sure you'll find it easier to talk to people once you put a few deals under your belt.

@Laura Robertson

Laura, we have a lot of great MeetUps in Austin and the easiest way to monetize your efforts is to meet a lot of local investors and build relationships. Go to MeetUp.com and search for real estate investment meetings.  I will PM you about my MeetUp which is on the 4th Tuesday of each month...except this month since I will be on vacation.  

@Laura Robertson

Welcome. 

Have a buddy who walks a targeted neighborhood door knocking on doors speaking to residents on behalf of the local politician. He works in the conversation that he has people looking to buy in the area. He offers a referral fee.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

Outstanding!  You are doing what many here only wish they had the balls to do.  Welcome to BP.  If you continue down this road, I am quite sure you will do quite well.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you