Foreclosure advice

7 Replies

I know a party who's home is in foreclosure and may be interested in getting rid of the property. My question is how should I approach this party about my interest in buying their home? Who do I talk to? Once that is established, how should I or do I purchase the home? I have some money saved up, my credit is not bad, and my wife and i currently own a home that is our primary residence. I am new to the real estate business so I don't want to screw up and lose out on my first possible deal. ADVICE PLEASE!!!

@Ricardo Camacho

Yes, you should contact the potential seller and vet them properly. Find out if they want to sell, how much they owe, how far behind they are, etc. Then you will need to determine what the fair market value of the property is and how much in repairs it will require, before you can suggest a course of action. 

If they owe more on the home than it is worth, you will need to look at doing a potential short sale. If the property has a bit of equity in it, but not enough to make selling worth it, you may be able to pay existing back payments and refinance or get the mortgage assigned / subject to (if possible). If there is substantial equity, their best move is probably just to sell.

-Christopher

@Ricardo Camacho

As stated in the previous post, you need to talk to the seller first before you talk to anyone else. You need to pre-qualify them - not everyone be a potential candidate for a short sale or even qualify if they are behind. It sounds like you need to do a bit more research on the subject before you proceed - wanting to make a deal is admirable, but you need to fully understand what you are doing and the consequences, especially where short sales are concerned.  I'd recommend that you try to find someone locally to partner up and show you the ropes. There are regulations in place which need to be adhered to and you will need very specific advice to ensure you don't violate any state and/or federal regulations.

-Christopher

Quite frankly if th owner is in foreclosure he has no negotiating power at this point.

Have you talked to the foreclosing entity, maybe you can substitute yourself into the loan and pull it out of foreclosure.

If their is no equity left it may be better to look elsewhere for your 1st investment.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you