Newbie from Bradenton FL

6 Replies

Hi everyone! I am not really a newbie to BP since I joined last March, but I never introduced myself so it is about time!

I have lived here in the Bradenton/Sarasota FL area since the 60s so it is very much home to me. I have worked in the I.T. industry for over 30 years now but just this week I "retired" from the job I have had for the last 20 years. However, since I have a young one who is just starting school, I am definitely not really retired yet.

So now what do I do? Go find another tech job or start my new RE related career? I think the answer should be obvious to most of you. Now the question is, how do I pull this off?

I have been listening to the pod casts since joining and I have learned so much. I have also read J. Scott's excellent books among others. So, since I need income fairly quickly, I am going to start a flipping business. I have gotten a pretty good start on a business plan but I need to fill in some blanks so I will most likely be posting some questions and I am sure I will get some great answers from the community.

Looking forward to the next chapter in my life and the sure to be great relationships I will develop on the journey.

Nice to meet you all,

Dennis Hertzler

@Dennis Hertzler

Welcome.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

@Dennis Hertzler

Good luck on the new venture.   I'm full time employed but when I'm not traveling, I'm driving for dollars.  I'm building up my savings and looking for my second investment.  I have a rental here in Parrish.

I've been looking a lot at duplexes in Bradenton, but prices seem pretty inflated right now.   my realtor is sending me listings everyday, just waiting for the jewel to shine..

I haven't been to any meet ups since I travel during the week, perhaps we'll cross paths soon

Hey Dennis, welcome to BP and the investing community!

Below are some start up suggestions that another investor suggested to me when I started.

Start here. You'll get a wealth of REI knowledge and learn how to take full advantage of Bigger Pockets (including how to connect with other Orlando investors:).

Listen to the podcasts , get active on the forums & set up key word alerts to be notified when people are discussing topics you're interested in.

I'm an new investor that is looking to start purchasing rental properties in the next 8 months. 

I wish you all the best! Let me know if I can help you in any way.  I'm not experienced, but have learned a lot and have started building a network of excellent investors.  

@Account Closed

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Paul, I have attended 1 REIA meeting and I am going to another one next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kurt, I hope we do cross paths sometime. We live in Mill Creek so I am not far from you.

Shane, wow I never heard of Grand island before but it looks like a great area on the maps. Thanks for the advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you