New member- Norfolk Va

27 Replies

New member from Norfolk, Virginia area. My name is Walter and I am active duty military stationed out of Norfolk. I have a few years left on active service where I will be trying to balance furthering my real estate knowledge as well as setting myself up for exfil out of the Navy. 

I am brand new to the real estate industry. As a matter of fact im scheduling my PSI two weeks from now, but I hear often that real estate is a great field with many opportunities. My goals are simply to build myself up by being well educated in my realm of real estate and set myself up for a business plan if all goes accordingly. I'm not into limiting myself but I would see myself fitting into either a Rental or Buy and Hold type of investing. 

I believe that's more than enough, but I do welcome and encourage questions. Anything that can help build and prepare me for the road ahead couldn't hurt and I thank you for it. I look forward to networking and getting to know everybody along the way. 

I highly recommend at @Walter Boyd that you find someone in your area who you look up to and message them. I found a real mentor here on Biggerpockets and this took me from knowing nothing to actually doing deals. I also suggest that you spend as much time here on biggerpockets and listening to the podcasts. I listen to them almost everyday-still!

The whole world is at your fingertips and you just need to take action. Just do it as they say. You will learn more by doing than by "thinking about doing". Align yourself with someone you trust and the rest will fall into place. Good luck!

@Walter Boyd , welcome to BP & real estate investing!  I am also active duty military & my goals are to be able to build sustainable income over the next 5-10 yrs to allow me to enjoy military retirement and have more time with my family.  Along the way I intend to make new friends and develop good partnerships.  There is a lot of good information on here...its best to educate yourself and have someone local to learn hands on with.

Thank you for the resoonses everyone. Solid advice that I plan on adhering to. @Bryan C. Its cool to see that we're in the same situation too. Small world. I have been looking into some of these podcasts already too and I'll be diving into some forum posts here soon too. Again thank you guys and for the welcome posts and the helpful information I need to started. I really appreciate it.

Welcome to BP @Walter Boyd

This is a great place to learn about all things real estate. Be sure to connect with other BP members and make some friends along the way. 

While you’re at it don't forget to set up keyword alerts for topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Also check out The Beginner's Guide (http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing), it is packed full of great info. 

I appreciate your dedication and service, and I know others do too. Thank you for your commitment.

All the best in your RE ventures!

Welcome!!

We bought our first home in Virginia Beach that turned in to a rental when we were transferred. We are buy and hold investors who buy in every area that we are stationed that make sense. This has worked out very well for us over the years. While it has had many moments it has been very worth it. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

Welcome!!

We bought our first home in Virginia Beach that turned in to a rental when we were transferred. We are buy and hold investors who buy in every area that we are stationed that make sense. This has worked out very well for us over the years. While it has had many moments it has been very worth it. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

That sounds like a great idea too. I would love to learn from you if I could.

Welcome Walter 

You will find GREAT people and GREAT information here I would recommend the podcasts they are especially informative...

Thank you for your service.

Good luck and happy investing.

Welcome to BP, Walter!  It is always great to have new fellow Virginians.  I know you will find the site helpful and informative.  Thanks for your service to our country and best wishes as you begin your investing.  

@Walter Boyd welcome to the site! I'm an active duty member as well and I'm glad to see the growing popularity of real estate investing among military members. Like @Elizabeth Colegrove, I have purchased homes at each of my duty locations; it really is a good strategy. However, there are obstacles to overcome as you learn the ropes so don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have any questions.

-Mark Caiazza

Originally posted by @Mark Caiazza :

@Walter Boyd welcome to the site! I'm an active duty member as well and I'm glad to see the growing popularity of real estate investing among military members. Like @Elizabeth Colegrove, I have purchased homes at each of my duty locations; it really is a good strategy. However, there are obstacles to overcome as you learn the ropes so don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have any questions.

-Mark Caiazza

Roger that, I'll be glad to. Thanks for the help in advance. PM sent.

Welcome Walter to BiggerPockets. This website is the meca of the real estate world and it is all almost free. Take advantage of the books recommendations, podcast and forums.

Don't be too shy to ask a question. But search the site first.  I am in Newport News and would love to connect and network with you.

Education and networking is the name of this Game.

Good luck and happy investing!!!!

Situational update. I am scheduled to take my PSI this Saturday. If all goes well, I will be hitting the ground runnng. Thank you guys again for the welcomes and advice. More to follow during the weekend. Go Patriots!

Originally posted by @Mark Caiazza :

Oh no! I didn't realize you were a Patriots fan... Now I have to drop you as a colleague! Just kidding, I'm just mad because my dolphins are having a rough season.

Good luck on the PSI exam!!

Now I know how to approach our dealings with each other from here on out. Haha. Thanks, I will post as soon as I get the results.

Report. I did not pass my PSI examination over the last week. I will be rescheduling my retake in 2 weeks and buying myself a study guide this time. I hope I can get passed it this time, but we will see what happens in the long run.

Update. Still no license yet, but I did make it to a real estate seminar recently and it gave me a new thinking of how I would want to go about investing. So after my workshop in January I plan to hit the ground running.

So later this month I will be visiting Than Merrill's 3-day investing workshop in Portsmouth, Va. I plan on taking this opportunity to help me start off my investing journey and from there, the sky will be the limit. As of now my main goal at least starting off is the wholesale form of investment. We'll see how things go. Looking forward to getting ahold of you guys and girls in the near future.

Patriots and the Panthers in the super bowl and I got my team by 13. ;D 

So I have recently established my own Real Estate investing business. Right now I'm dealing with my first lead, and she is looking for some landscaping assistance. Specifically a picket fence for her newly bought home. If I could muster any assistance, in the Chesapeake, Virginia Beach area. Greatly appreciated ahead of time!

I have a lead that says she wants a white picket fence put in her back yard for her pets. I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head but I can contact her tomorrow and get them for you. Pictures too if that helps.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you