New to forums from Cincinnati Ohio

16 Replies

Hello,

I'm Derek Smith and I live in Cincinnati Ohio.

I currently have two rental houses and am looking to keep adding to my portfolio, whether it's more SFR, multi family's, or commercial.

I have a corporate job, working in corporate strategy and finance. I've lead teams through the study and approval of $100M projects, but still find it scary to push through deals when it's my own money and financial security on the line.

I'm looking for opportunities to meet like minded people in Cincinnati/ NKY. I've looked at the local REIA, but am rather turned off by it as they seem to always be selling/pushing something.

Anyone have experience with the Cincinnati REIA who can share their opinion? Good?Bad?

Thank you,

Derek

Hi Derek,

I am a licensed realtor and from the Cincinnati area (eastside) too. We are currently focusing on fix and flips and sold our only rental this spring. I had the same experience with REIA as it appears that you did and I did not renew my membership this year. Good luck on your real estate adventure and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Hey @Derek Smith ,

My experience with the local REIA is similar to that of yours and @Amy Braden , as I didn't renew my membership this year either. I think there was some value in the pre-meeting networking, but once the sales pitch began, I would usually leave.

I've found more networking opportunities, partners, investors, clients, etc. through BP than anywhere else thus far. There is a newer meetup organized by @Joe Fairless here in CIncy that may be worth looking into. I wasn't able to attend the first one, but have heard good things.

Reach out if I can help with anything else and good luck!

@Derek Smith welcome to BP and as @Jamie Harris mentioned I started a meetup for BPers and our first meeting went really well. It's more of a Mastermind where we all talk about what we're doing, a challenge and what we're committed to accomplishing before the next meeting. 

The next one is at full capacity but if you comment and follow this thread you'll be notified when the following one is scheduled: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/205...

Joe 

Hi @Derek Smith

Welcome to Biggerpockets. Keep networking , you'll find a lot of people here that would love to help you out, you may even find a business partner soon. Good luck and great success in your REI journey.

@Amy Braden

@Jamie Harris

Thank you for confirming what I expected. I haven't actually been to any of the meeting, but I've been on the mailing list for 2 years. Every time I thought about signing up, I was turned off by all the pushing for different "2 day seminars" for $500.

@Joe Fairless
The meetup sounds great, thank you for putting something together this is exactly what I was hoping for. I look forward to meeting with you all in the future.

And thanks to all the rest of you who offered your welcome and king words.

Welcome to BP @ investing in the Cincy area.  I have worked w/ @Jamie Harris on a couple deals and he does a great job.  

I havent joined the Cincinnati REIA but thought about it....what kind of selling are we talking about? If its guru stuff I just let that go in 1 ear and out the other...if its people offering their "deals" that might be worth listening to.

@Bryan C. The emails I get from the Cincy REIA are a bunch of guru stuff. They also have an email they send out with available properties. But every single property I've looked at in that email is either not a deal or in some ghetto neighborhood. I've gone to a couple meetings and it just seems like a bunch of old people pedaling bad deals to each other. YMMV.

Originally posted by @Bryan C. :

Welcome to BP @ investing in the Cincy area.  I have worked w/ @Jamie Harris on a couple deals and he does a great job.  

I havent joined the Cincinnati REIA but thought about it....what kind of selling are we talking about? If its guru stuff I just let that go in 1 ear and out the other...if its people offering their "deals" that might be worth listening to.

I can't say with certainty if it's "Guru", but there has been 2 emails just today pushing a 2 day "seminar" this weekend about seller/owner financing, at a cost of $697 for members.

@Derek Smith

Welcome to the BP family you should be able to find everything you looking for in your real estate endeavors here. REIA is not a place to learn the business and that's across the board from my experience but it is a good place to find deals just do your due diligence

Good Luck..

Welcome to the site Derek. There's a very good group of investors in this area that are active on here and doing really good work. I'm also doing corporate finance/accounting full time and real estate on the side. I look forward to meeting you sometime. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you