New member in Northern, CA

18 Replies

Hi Bigger Pockets,

My name is Scott and I am from Placerville, CA about 30 minutes northeast of Sacramento in Northern California.

I found this site recently by googling "Best Real Estate Investment Forum" and Biggerpockets.com showed up at the top of every list.

A little bit about my investment history is that I have been working on and off for my Dad who is a broker/investor.  He has been fixing and flipping houses for over 40 years and I basically grew up around it my whole life.  Also, he has always had 5-10 rental properties both locally and out of state at any given time.

The last five years or so I've spent working as a raft guide, travelling the world, and working here and there with my Dad.  Fun, Yes.  Lucrative, NO!  So I'm back and as of 2016 will be taking over operations and all of our fix and flips.  I gave myself till I was 30...and I just turned 31.

I'm SUPER excited with this opportunity and want to make the best of it.  My Father is definitely an "Old Dog", but he is fine with me bringing in some "New tricks".

I look forward to learning as much as I can here, meeting some great folks, and hopefully helping others along the way.

Scott

Welcome to BP!  I'm sure you'll learn a lot from here.  In addition I'd recommend listening to the podcast and attending some of the local meetups to network with other local investors.

@Scott Rist

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

@Scott Rist biggerpockets has a lot of resources and reading materials. If you do the real estate business correctly, you should be able to make money and still travel. I am sure with your dads experience and you getting new knowledge about real estate investing you can be successful. You should look online to see if there are any rei meetings up along hwy 50. If not then start one yourself. There are plenty down in Sacramento if you want to come down the hill.

Originally posted by @Scott Rist :

Hi Bigger Pockets,

My name is Scott and I am from Placerville, CA about 30 minutes northeast of Sacramento in Northern California.

I found this site recently by googling "Best Real Estate Investment Forum" and Biggerpockets.com showed up at the top of every list.

A little bit about my investment history is that I have been working on and off for my Dad who is a broker/investor.  He has been fixing and flipping houses for over 40 years and I basically grew up around it my whole life.  Also, he has always had 5-10 rental properties both locally and out of state at any given time.

The last five years or so I've spent working as a raft guide, travelling the world, and working here and there with my Dad.  Fun, Yes.  Lucrative, NO!  So I'm back and as of 2016 will be taking over operations and all of our fix and flips.  I gave myself till I was 30...and I just turned 31.

I'm SUPER excited with this opportunity and want to make the best of it.  My Father is definitely an "Old Dog", but he is fine with me bringing in some "New tricks".

I look forward to learning as much as I can here, meeting some great folks, and hopefully helping others along the way.

Scott

Welcome to bp. Hopefully we can do Business some time. I'm looking for buy and holds but would love to Learn more about flipping and building house From ground up. I see Some great land opportunities in my area.

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forum. Has your dad been operating up there in Placerville? I went to El Dorado High, and my mother still lives there, so I know the area fairly well. Looking forward to seeing more from you around the forum.

Thanks for all the warm responses everyone. Where do I find more about these REI meetings? I would love to attend! We are looking for a lot more properties and I'm anxious to build that network.

Thanks,

Scott

@Scott Rist , There are a couple REI clubs I've been to:

One is in Roseville and organized through Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Roseville-Real-Estate-Invest...) @David Oldenburg organizes this one.

The other is Capital City Wealth Builders (http://www.sacramentorealestateclub.net/)

Personally, I liked the one is Roseville better, but I would encourage you to see both for yourself and decide which you would like to regularly attend.

@Jake Weir  Thanks!  I have never been to CCWB, but I know the guy who runs that group. He actually came to my Cinco De Mayo event and we talked quite a bit. I have heard he also has a good group, but I think there is a cost?  Maybe you can elaborate.  Ours is free, but your mileage may vary...LOL!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you