Hi all,

6 Replies

I'm interested in buying a rental property in Riverside CA or San Bernandino CA.  I have a good down payment to put towards and I was thinking if for some reason I can't get it rented out, I could always live in it myself.  I live rent free right now.  I'm looking at 2 and 3 bed condos at the moment.  Does this seem like a good idea?

You should listen to http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/02/21/working-job-investing-real-estate-arthur-garcia/ he does buy and hold in the Inland Empire. I know its a few years old so maybe the market has changed. Best of luck

Hello @Steve Warfield.

I'm a realtor and property manager in the Inland Empire. Renting out a single family house with 3 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms is a breeze. When I post a house for rent for one of my clients I can get up to 5 applications on the first day. So, getting renters is not an issue. Your main concern should be finding a renter who will pay rent on time and take care of the house.

Also, buying a condo isn't automatically a bad thing. If the numbers work out with the understanding that you might attract a lower quality tenant, then buying a condo shouldn't be overlooked. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you