New to Knoxville

17 Replies

Hi Everyone!

I have never heard of this place before, so I am excited to check it out and see what I can find.  I just moved to the area from Charlotte and so far I love it here! I am a young, part time investor...as I am also going to Pharmacy School.  That being said, I hope to meet some like-minded people and build a network of friends.  Off I go!

John Murphy Welcome to Knoxville, TN. Football season is upon us , and the town really goes wild for Tennessee Vols! I have season tickets myself :) I've met a few other investors in town. Everyone is great. There is a REIA meeting 2nd Tues of the month at Holiday Inn, Cedar Bluff. Great place to meet more REI investors offline. I'm still learning and getting my feet wet to speak. Hope to tackle my first flip by the end of the year. Also check out the webinars here from Brandon Turner. They are great. Let me and everyone else here know if we can help you in any way.

Payton provided some good info. Knoxville is a nice place to live so welcome. Feel to reach out about local investing our the if you need/want any Knoxville community info. 

Hi John. Welcome to the area. I am pretty new to BP and Payton has been kind to help me with some details about this site. I hope to meet you at the next REI meeting.

@John Murphy

My 3 tips for using this site are participate in the forums ( asking and answering ?'s, sharing your experiences ), networking with locals and others, and listen to the Podcast (under Learn ) and Webinars (under Resources ).

Quick tip #1. Type the "@" and the 1st 3 letters of someone you want to personally address.. ie - check out your name at the top of this post.

#2. Go to https://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts to setup keyword alerts to let you know when someone has mentioned something interesting to you. I have my city and my name on alert so far.

#3  Let someone know if you thought their post was insightful and or helpful by clicking "Vote" on the upper left corner of that person's post.

Thanks for the quick responses! I am definitely interest in attending the September meeting, which I presume is September 8th? If so, I would like to meet any of you all that will be attending.  Thanks for the tips @Pay, I will put it to use.  Anyone here have experience/interest in the local <50k single family market?

@John Murphy

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

Originally posted by @John Murphy :

Thanks for the quick responses! I am definitely interest in attending the September meeting, which I presume is September 8th? If so, I would like to meet any of you all that will be attending.  Thanks for the tips @Pay, I will put it to use.  Anyone here have experience/interest in the local <50k single family market?

The <$50k market in Knoxville is primarily located in East and South Knoxville areas and will likely be section 8 properties. There is mixed reviews on section 8, I know of people who own hundreds of them and others that wouldn't own 1. Different strokes for different folks.  

@John Murphy @Payton Abernathy @Christopher B.

The KnoxREIA meeting is on Sept 8. The meetings are designed to provide serious information about real estate at every meeting. You can get a good overview of our group by going to www.youtube.com/KnoxREIA 

Since you are a new investor and first time attendee, I do encourage you get to the Holiday Inn Cedar Bluff at 5:30. First, there is food from 5:30-6:30. You do not need to stop to grab something. (Pre-registration is not required, but the kitchen staff does appreciate it if you do.) Second, there are many active investors who will be happy to share information and you will want to spend as much time networking as possible.

The topic is "Measuring Your Value -  Structuring Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures"  More details will be available at www.knoxreia.com

Happy Investing,

john the local Knoxville reia has really gained a following the past couple years. It's a for profit meet-up that costs $50/meeting. Some find it invaluable and other investors don't attend, different stroke for different folks I suppose. I would recommend attending it at least once though to see if it's right for you. There are some active investors there and Victor is quite experienced and knowledgeable. If you're looking to gain some local traction and knowledge there is worse ways to spend $500 (annual membership). Good luck. 

@Christopher B. .

Thank you for the kind words and I do appreciate your comments. I am learning to post by watching what you post.

@John Murphy

The KnoxREIA meetings are all information. The content is aimed at active investors, and @Christopher B. is exactly correct, the meetings are certainly not for everyone. KnoxREIA meetings are to real estate investing as learning a foreign language is to a total immersion experience. There will always be someone else in the room who is just starting and regardless of how much experience you may have, there will almost always be someone there who can help you improve.

The first KnoxREIA meeting is $20 and then any following meeting is $50. The average attendance in 2013 was 33, in 2014 it was 47, and so far this year it is 60, including 8-12 new attendees. This is the first year we are actively marketing (for example, these posts on Bigger Pockets), but there are no membership sales pitches. In fact, we have never asked anyone to join. 

KnoxREIA is not a social club and it is not a BNI. The atmosphere is relaxed, casual, and interactive. We want everyone to have a good time, but we do not joke about the impact of real estate investing on the future of your family and the community. Take the time to look at the videos on YouTube – especially the ones labeled Disclaimer. They will help you decide about attending.

Happy Investing,

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you