Military Couple from San Diego

7 Replies

Hello everyone, my name is Jake and my wife's name is Lindsey. This is the second intro post I have done here, the first one I left shortly after on deployment, plus our goals have changed, so I decided to just write a new post. Currently my wife and I need to assemble our real estate team. After that we are looking to purchase a 20 unit apartment complex in San Diego, CA. Eventually we would like to get into 100+ unit complexes, but we feel this may be a good starting point for us. We are still trying to get a good insight into the different markets available in San Diego (There's quite a few) as well as determine who we will be using for our real estate team. Specifically we are looking for an attorney, accountant, broker, and property manager, with experience investing in apartment complexes. My wife and I are very excited about doing our first deal, we know it will be the toughest, however, we know it will be worth it, as this will allow us to be financially stable by the time we leave the military (Less than 3 years!) If anyone has any suggestions on a good team member in San Diego, please let us know! Thank you!

@Jacob Thompson Firstly, thank you for your service sir. Too few men hear the call, and fewer answer.

Second, I would like to introduce myself, and more importantly my dad, who is not on BP (yet), but is a 20 year Marine Corps Vet, and currently a Broker and Property Manager here in the San Diego area.  As a Realtor, I hang my license with his brokerage, Corps d'Elite Real Estate Group, and I would love to talk further about the opportunity to work with you and Lindsey, so please feel free to message me and we can set something up. 

Also, I have a Real Estate friendly accountant whose clientele is made up of roughly 70% real estate oriented folks (and the majority of which are investors), and who invests himself.  I highly recommend him, so again, please feel free to message me if any of what I have mentioned interests you, and I will be happy to give you any details you need to make an educated decision in building your team, regardless of whether or not we end up working together.  Hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to BP!  I am sure you will find some info on the team that you seek.  One of the questions I have is how will you get started?  I am assuming you have cash saved up or someone who can lend you the money?  Once you get started things will roll into place (some easier than others).  Just dont give up and before you know it your dreams will become reality.  This isnt a get rich quick thing, but it can be very rewarding for a very long time!  Good luck from one Military member to another!

@Jacob ThompsonTalk about go big or go home! A 20 unit is a big first move but if you can swing it go for it. Best of luck to both of you as you get started!

@Jacob Thompson Welcome to BP!

I served 6 years in the Navy and my fiancee is currently stationed at the 32nd St base. Glad to see more military members using the site!

I own 3 rentals in San Diego and would be happy to share my contacts with you. I don't own commercial property myself, but have friends who do, so I can help you get in touch with commercial lenders/realtors/PMs as well.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I have gotten a lot more leads a lot faster than I was expecting just from this post. Looking forward to assembling my team and getting started investing. @John Steele We were thinking about getting an 8 unit, but we weren't sure if that would generate enough interest or profit to justify a commercial loan/getting investors interested in helping with the down payment. Also we need to hire a property manager. We are still open to the idea of an 8 unit though. We don't have a large down payment ourselves, instead we are looking for other investors to help fund the down payment and then kick back the majority of the profits to them, or possibly some sort of seller financing such as a Master Lease with an option.

@Anton Ivanov I would love to talk more with you about it!

@Account Closed We definitely are taking advantage of the double BAH, what exactly did you have in mind with that?

Also, what do you guys think about getting degrees in business with an emphasis in entrepreneurship and/or real estate? Do you think that would be helpful?

@Jacob Thompson

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you