New member from Washington!

9 Replies

Hi,

My name is Monish and I'm becoming a college graduate here at the beautiful University of Washington. As my parents just rented out their home, I have become "the guy in charge". From learning to make a lease agreement, to dealing with plumbers, and clogged toilets, I'm learning what it means to be a property manager for my family. 

As someone who is new to Real Estate Investing, I am looking to learn from this community to be a successful in real estate. 

Please bear with me as I ask questions along the way!

Please excuse the bad grammar!  There is an a that shouldn't be there in: "I am looking to learn from this community to be a successful in real estate." 

@Monish Naidu - Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community.

Just as a heads-up, there will be an informal meeting this Friday, the 4th, at 7:00pm in Bellevue. If you're interested, I have included a link below:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/225...

As mentioned, these meet-ups are informal and a good way to network and get quick questions answered.

Also, feel free to ask the community, and don't forget to include words like "Seattle" and "Washington" somewhere. Many local members who would be able to help you out have keywork alerts set up for triggers like that and will chime in as best they can.

What great parents!  Renton is one of those towns that you cans till purchase at a price that you can cashflow at, and is quickly gentrifying and seeing the appreciation from the entire seattle market.  Like Alex mentioned the meetup this week is in your neck of the woods.  We have some pretty impressive Property Managers that show up, and are always willing to share their knowledge.

Monish, welcome to BP!  Go Dawgs!  My daughter is heading off to UW next week...

The forums are a great place to get information, either by searching prior posts or posting  a new thread.  Washington Landlord Association (walandlord.com) is also well worth the small membership fee, for their forms, screening, and help line.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets! Just returned from an extended vacation, so sorry for the late response. If your parents' rental house is in Renton, then it is in King County. Be aware that you will need to abide by landlord tenant law for Washington State and for King County. The Tenants Union of Washington has been quite active in King County, resulting in some more restrictive laws for landlords. It's worth reading their website to see the view from the tenant perspective. Here's the link. www.tenantsunion.org Good luck!

Thank you everyone! @Alex Chin , @Ruth Bayang , @Michele Fischer , @Troy Fisher , @Seth Carlone-Hanson , @Mark Nolan . I apologize for not being as active and seeing the meeting for those in the Seattle area. I will keep an eye out on your forum pages for the next meet and greet. 

Michele - UW is a great university to go! 

Seth - House values in Renton are cheaper than those of the Bellevue area for sure. I see it as a close price alternative that is right in the middle of places such as Tukwila with the shopping center, and Bellevue/Seattle. It's a nice suburban area.

Alex/Troy - Thanks again for letting me know about events, I'll be sure to come to one.

@Marcia Maynard - You have been such a tremendous help to me, I can't thank you enough for your insights, tips, and suggestions. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you