Fix and Flipper Newbies

8 Replies

My husband and I are looking at fix and flips in Ventura County and would love to hear from any investors around that area to hear about what kind of experiences or tips they have for us.

Melanie from Colorado

Colorado right now is an extremely hot commodity now and it is difficult to find good cheap projects.  If I wanted to spend $300k plus to tear down and build a $1.5 million house which is what's happening in Denver Metro and south that would be fine.  For our first project I'm looking for something on a much smaller scale.  As the husband is a contractor winter was always our difficult working season, with a project in a sunny place it gives him winter revenue.  Right now it's an information gathering expedition.  We may end up in Texas or Arizona for a Fix and Flip.  Who knows!

@Melanie Parker

My wife and I are in Ventura County, but i'm not sure there are any tips relevant to Ventura County that do not apply anywhere else. I have no idea what prices are like in Denver, but Southern California is not exactly known for inexpensive housing either.  If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM.   

Hi Melanie. Ventura County is a sellers market right now. Most SFRs going for full retail. We looked at a fire damaged house last week that went for full retail price. If you are looking for SFRs less than $400K in decent neighborhoods, the options are very limited in VC. We have expanded our marketing radius to a 3 hr drive from Ventura to locate more affordable options.  Good luck.

Originally posted by @Tony Morgan :

Hi Melanie. Ventura County is a sellers market right now. Most SFRs going for full retail. We looked at a fire damaged house last week that went for full retail price. If you are looking for SFRs less than $400K in decent neighborhoods, the options are very limited in VC. We have expanded our marketing radius to a 3 hr drive from Ventura to locate more affordable options.  Good luck.

That's very interesting Tony, thanks for your input.  I'll keep my eyes and mind wide open to alternative options.

I'll echo the same sentiments as earlier. Ventura County has gotten VERY expensive over the last 9 months. We have a very low inventory across the board. I'm currently investing in Milwaukee and the quad cities because I have access to a great team of resources there and the current market is very supportive of fix & flips and even buy and hold rentals. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you