Certified divorce financial analyst, CALIFORNIA

1 Reply

I am interested in following discussion threads re matters involving disposition of rental and investment properties pursuant to divorce.Because of the possibility of beneficial section 1031 tax treatment, I wish to follow discussions about conversion of residential primary homeowner property in part or full to rental property and tax treatment upon sale after 2 years or longer.

I frequently am asked to provide consultations on these subjects when involved with divorce financial analysis. Many couples  want to use the 5 year period post divorce for real property transactions that can still benefit from the section 121 marital exclusion on capital gains.  That is, they plan around this window.

@Kathleen Nemetz , Welcome to the site.  You'll see in the forums there are several avenues where sec 121 and sec 1031 have potential confluence and synergy with each other - particularly in divorce cases where you speak.  I'd be happy to speak with you in private also should you have any specific questions.

Dave

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you